Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6-week checkup

Well I had my 6 week checkup on the 11th which included a xray of my L5-S1 fusion. The Dr. said everything looked good so far, everything was still in place and comparing the xray I had the day after surgery to my new one you could see a little bone healing taking place. I now have to wait another 4 1/2 weeks before my next appointment at which time they will do a CT scan to see just how much fusing has taken place. If things look good I will start therapy and return to work (on a light duty basis I'm guessing).

For those of you who have had a single level fusion in the past, how much PT did you have to do? I only ask this because I really cant afford to pay for the co-pays for each session and gas while missing a couple of hours of work each PT session.
advertisement

Comments

• radtechtam64rradtechtam64 Posts: 27
    edited 02/25/2013 - 12:35 PM
    I had my L4-5 minimally invasive surgery Dec. 18, so 10 weeks tomorrow. I didn't have to have any PT. I just made sure I did a lot of stretching, nothing to fancy, just a few of the stretches I learned from work-out DVDs and just sitting on the floor and stretching leg to leg, etc....you can go online and find stretches for your hamstrings, hip flexors, etc. Everything is connected in some way. I also got an elliptical machine and gradually have been working up. Let pain be your guide. I also have been doing safe exercises to strengthen my core. Just make sure you are not stressing your back too much. Even if you get some exercises from your PT to do at home. But do them religiously. I make sure and stretch every morning and night and try to get on the elliptical every day for at least a mile. I know PT gets expensive, and a lot of it you can do at home. Just make sure they are safe for your back!
    radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion
  • I am scheduled for a fusion of L5/S1 on May 1st, 2013- first surgery so REALLY worried. However, I am hoping that I heal and am able to go back to work after the 6 weeks as the doctor has said. :) PT was rough for me before the surgery and I am hoping that I dont get too overworked after surgery with the PT.... ;)
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13