Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic Surgery Needed ASAP

boxiebboxie Posts: 10
edited 02/25/2013 - 3:55 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi my name is Leslie. I am 45 yrs old. 8 yrs ago I had an injury, fell about 6ft and landing I believe on my head. From this I have had 2 cervical surgeries 2005 and 2008. 2005 surgery was at 2 levels, it was a success until the disk above blew causing meto have a total neck fusion. I had 1 good disk between C4 that wasnt herniated at the time of my first surgery, when this blew they fused the whole thing in 2008. I have done well with this I believe although I have some residual numbness and tingling accopanied with headaches and migraines. I am better than before and grateful.
From this same accident I have Thoracic issues. I am oblivious as what to do? I have been told by more than one Doctor that I need Thoracic surgery. As you all know this is a rather involved surgery as it is very dangerous,and morbitity is an issue. Laproscopic option takes out the disk and nothing is put back in. A falling house of cards. Anyone know of someone who has had successful surgery of T2-T4 hernaited.

Mri Findings:

T6-T7 Moderate lt paracentral disc herniation. T7-T8 small left paramedian disc herniation. T8-T9 Moderate left Paracentral Disc Hernation. this is from the impresssion.
Lastly i have issues in my lumbar. Impression T12-L1 Minimal Posterior buldge. L1-L2 Developement of central herniation of the extrusion type with superior and inferior extensions indenting the ventral thecal sac without central spinal stenosis.
L3-4 fact arthropathy and developemnt of minimal retrolisthesis with mild posterior buldge slightly effacing undersurface of the exting L3 nerveroot.
L4-5 Mild disc space narrowing with diffuse buldge and bilateral posterolateral buldges/protrusions encroaching on the foramina and effacing the undersurface of the exiting L4 nerveroots bialaterally. Left posterolateral annualar tear is seen. Associated hypertrophy of the facet joints and ligamentum flavum are noted encroaching on and boardering the central spinal canal.
L5S1 Persistant spodylosis and disc space narrowing with diffuse posterior ridging/spondylotic bar and bilateral posteriolateral ridging and buldges worse on the left effacing undersurface of the exting L5 nerve roots worse on the left. Surgery is an option.
I could recite a letter from a patient with chronic pain in FAQ here titled A Letter to Normals from a Person With Chronic Pain . I could recite it all as my own as so many in this forum. i have other issues that arent spine related. Before this accident I had no issues. Even though I have this I don't have any other issues with my health, except orthopedic and nuerological.

Please help. I am at my last straw. It is ruining the last little bit of me. I am open to any treatments that you have had that have worked. I have been told i need surgery done AsAp! SCARY THING!
I have had epidurals, pt, trigger point injections. Currently use a Butrans 20 mg patch and tramadol for increased pain control. I hate this stuff, it hardly works at all.
Open to any helpful advice available. I pray there is something out there! prayers to all of you who have chronic pain.

• flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 02/22/2013 - 2:57 PM
    You sure have had it all .I dont have your problem but i hope you get answers. Im having back surgery March13 and if i didnt have this site i would go crazy!!! They have calmed me down.I hope you get the answers your looking for.Kathy
    Kathy B
  • Just be strong and hang in there I have been injured since 2010 and yeah it sucks i have a bilateral disc protrusion at L5-S1
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 02/25/2013 - 2:45 AM
    You are right to be cautious about thoracic spine surgery as it is no "stroll in the park", as others here will also testify.

Surgeons familiar with and competent to perform T spine surgery are thin on the ground and they are not keen to undertake it unless absolutely necessary and that means neurological deficits, not just pain.

However you know that the possibility of surgery, at some point, is looming large so it is a good time to do some research to see if there is someone suitable where you live and maybe make contact and get some first hand advice.

My experience is that outside of the select group who undertake this particular surgery there is a lot of ignorance and signs and symptoms can easily be misread.

If your feet, legs, bladder, bowels and sex organs seem to have given up, make sure someone knows about it.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde