Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain. Help

diggeerdogddiggeerdog Posts: 4
edited 02/24/2013 - 8:56 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have had DDD and arthritis diagnosed in my lower back. Very painful when I sleep over 4 hours. When I get moving during the day, I'm good.......until now

I started feeling a pain slightly above my wallet in my right hip. It feels slightly right of my spine. Now I am getting a very sharp pain just slightly above there. I've never had the shooting pain down the leg. It seems like it may be shooting into the hip, but it is hard to tell.

I called my doctor and he said it is just what I've had all along. He is an idiot. He said just take a Mobic. I am in recovery so opioids are out. It feels like it is about to "go out." I've never been where I can't go.

Any thoughts?

• I get a very similar pain in that area. When I have a treatment from my physio or masseuse, they always find very tight muscles there. They work on it and get it to relax, but it sure puts up a fight.
    Seems to be a chronic problem from my spine.
    So I now have regular treatments to ease my tight muscles.
  • I have DDD since January 2013, and I felt better but I noticed that if I stay in bed too long, a mils pain comes back...If I get moving, I am fine too except I made some mistakes the last couple days: I lied down too long so a little pain came back, then yesterday I carried some groceries AND when I sneezed yesterday night I felt a sharp pain: the same one as my first crisis!!!
    This morning, the pain is still there but I can deal with it...
    Any idea why lying down is a problem?
    I can't afford physical therapy... Do you guys think that if I walk a lot and do some water exercises, it could be fixed?
    So now, about your story, I think this pain in the leg are due to the pressure that disks put on the sciatica nerve... If it's mild, you feel pain only in the lower back but if the pressure worsen then pain can go down to your leg...
    Don't bother with family doctors, they have no idea what back pain is... Try to find a spine surgeon, he will help you...but from my knowledge, we need to accept this condition and live it... Regular low impact exercise is the best therapy I guess!
  • Diggerdog - I agree that you need a new primary care doctor and get a consult with an ortho or neurosurgeon.

Chris - my surgeon really recommends walking and water exercises (as long as you work up to more rigorous water exercises.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 02/27/2013 - 7:39 PM
    Please take a look at: Spinal Conditions
    specifically Degenerative Disc Disease

You will see how common that spinal condition is. Just the words, Degenerative and Disease are strong enough to make someone shudder. DDD is so common,Itts the natural aging of our spine. It can be managed by an approved exercise program and OTC NSAIDs It is only in the severed cases that surgery orr more aggressive treatments are recommend
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • chrisl1208cchrisl1208 Posts: 21
    edited 03/01/2013 - 8:05 AM
    You are totally right! Walking is one of the best exercises! I started walking for 1 hour at a pace of 4 miles per hour, and it's improving! I decided to do that everyday FOR LIFETIME!
    I will also add up some water exercises for variety...

This discussion has been closed.