Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie here

Bulged L5-S1 back in 2009 after improper form while deadlifting. Went through a lot of different options. Tried therapy, chiropractic care, DRX machine, injections, ended up having a discectomy. At the time I was pretty much crawling around due to the pain and the surgery did help with that.

I was doing good for about a year and then I bent down to check a price tag on a piece of furniture. Boom, my back popped again. Started seeing a new doc and found out that L5-S1 had bulged again and so did L4-L5. I really liked the doctor and his thoughts on everything. He ended up doing two more injections and that seemed to work.... for about six months.

We switched insurance to my wifes and along with that I needed to switch doctors.

So far I have tried meds, which wreak complete havok on my digestive system. Tried a stim unit, which didnt work at all. Been in therapy for the last few weeks and it doesnt seem like much progress is being made. I had another injection last Monday which so far has yet to seem like it has done anything either.

Last Friday my dog decided to trip me down a set of snowy stairs, I went down the entire flight of stairs on my heals, which hurt to say the least. My doctor had me try some stronger pain meds over the weekend which didnt give me much relief either.

My therapist today said he is frustrated because he doesnt feel like the exercises, ultrasound or electrostim are doing much. We tried an inversion table today and the second gravity started to take hold it felt like someone stuck me in the back with a knife.

Right now here I sit completely frustrated. I cant sit, stand or lay for very long before my spine feels like it is on fire. This weekend the pain has started to travel back down the leg again, which I know is never a good thing.

I have no idea what to do or try next. With a baby on the way (due in July) I really need to figure out some sort of relief.

• So sorry to hear about your problems. And being pregnant in the mix probably makes for some real no fun days. I am sure that adds more stress to the discs in many ways. My thoughts are this, when was the last time you had an MRI to see the current state of the discs? Have you seen multiple docs/ therapists to maybe look at alternatives? Also I would think with a baby due in July that there may not be much to be done till after. Im no doc just a fellow spiney so these are just some thoughts for you.

Good Luck I hope you can find some relief sooner than later!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • The wife is actually pregnant, not me :)

I am actually going to see the doctor today as things are continuing to go downhill. I am taking the wife along so she can voice her concerns and what she has seen. I think I am going to bring up and MRI. Last one I had was about a year ago. This new doc has taken X-Rays but nothing other then narrowing of the spacing came out of that. I could have told them that.
  • Yeah, Xrays only tell so much. I had a CT scan about 8 months before my MRI, and even it only told part of the story. I would say MRI is def the next thing needed. Hopefully you do not have to push for it. Some docs just think they are too good to need to see whats going on. There is no point in trying to treat a herniation that is beyond help from steroids or PT.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • I had my MRI on Thursday. All it took was me basically saying "I think we need a look inside to see what is really going on" Doc agreed.

Things are getting worse. The pain in my tailbone area is getting bad. My left butt cheek is on fire almost constant now. Some pains are starting to roll down the left leg and the numbness in my left foot is getting more intense.

I built up a tolerance to all the pain killers they have prescribed so far. The doc gave me a new one today and it did nothing besides give me a killer headache.

Just getting completely bummed out and depressed.
  • I understand, believe me I do. You gotta take what you can from the fact that the MRI is another step towards your recovery. Its never gonna be fast enough to start getting better. Get you results, meet with your doc, and hopefully you will have a map to your recovery real soon.

Good Luck & keep updates!!!
  • Hi

Have they done a Discogram yet?

After a TLIF @L5S1, a year later they did one (Disco) and found out L3/4 and L4/5 were also at fault. Blow out, leaking, pain generating, etc

It's a painful procedure, but so is having to repeat fusion surgery ...trust me ;-)

Nothing paints the 'real' picture like a discogram.

Welcome aboard, and best of luck

Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.