Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic Herniation

Hi, I am new here and have questions. I had MRI of thoracic spine and the report reads:T6-7 and T5-6 there is Modic Type 1 endplate edema anteriorly. T2-T3 there is a small left paracentral disc protrusion and mild disc bulge with mild flattening the left ventral cord contour but perservation subarachnoid space. At T5-6 there is minimal disc bulge. At T6-7 there is a small moderate size central disc extrusion with minimal superior and inferior migration. There is mild flattening the right ventral cord contour and narrowing of the ventral subarachnoid space with perservation subarachnoid space. At t7-8 there is a a right paracentral small disc and a left paracentral disc osteophyte complex with indents the ventral thecal sac and results in slight flattening of the anterior contour of the cord with perservation subarachnoid space. Mild degenerative changes are noted in the lower thoracic regions. No significant inflammatory changes are appreciated in the costochondral joint posteriorly. Paraspinous soft tissues are unremarkable. Impression Mild thoracic spondylosis with disc herniations
I have been having chest pains for over a year, had cardio, gi and been treated for costachronditis (sp?) due to my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Everything came back normal so I was referred to pain management.
I am seeing a pain management dr (who is great). I have had two epidural injections within two weeks. She has referred me to neurosurgeon. Pretty nervous about any thoughts of surgery if that is my option. I have had two lower back and two neck surgeries. They were pretty easy. But what I am reading about thoracic surgery scares me. i would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

• have you been told you actually need surgery? what other treatments have you tried on the area?
  • MathhewsMMathhews Posts: 9
    edited 03/13/2013 - 1:51 AM
    I have had two epidural injections, neither worked. Pain management doctor stated she thought I would need surgery. She referred me to neurosurgeon. I have an appt on March 20th to get his opinion. The pain is getting unbearable as I can not sit, stand or walk for more than 10 mins. Needless to say I am scared and not sure what to expect right now.
  • I know thoracic surgery sometimes "sounds" more serious/scary, but the key is to choose a surgeon that either specializes in thoracic surgery or at least performs then on a routine basis. I think people run into complications when they allow a surgeon that does mostly lumbar or cervical procedures perform the surgery. I have never had any complications from my thoracic fusions. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Can someone explain what a large left paracentral superior disc extrusion at T12-L1 means???

Take Care.