Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Info Needed on Aquatherapy Exercises for Low Back Pain

Hi, everyone! Several people, all of whom have suffered from back pain and have enthusiastically endorsed aquatherapy (i.e., therapeutic exercises done in a swimming pool) as a means of reducing back pain, have advised me to embark on it. If any of you know of websites that provide videos or illustrations on how to do these exercises, I'd greatly appreciate a PM. Thanks so much!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    edited 02/26/2013 - 9:06 AM
    I've done it about 5 different times since 2006. It was done for my Thoracic problems, Shoulder and Hip Replacements. I just edited to also include exercises for both my cervical and lumbar prior surgeries.
    It was 3x week for about 5 weeks, 1/2 hour each time. I remember my first session, I just figured how hard could this be?
    That night and the following day, I thought I was hit with a truck. I wanted to call my doctor and tell him that Aqua Therapy wasnt for me.

But after a few sessions, I started to build up strength in the water. That was key. But the fact that you could exercise in a almost weightless environment helped so much with the therapy. Each time I graduated from Therapy, I came out feeling pretty good.

Now in addition to formal Physical Therapy, since I am a 'graduate' of the Aqua Therapy program, I have joined the Independent Pool Program. Same heated pool (98 degrees highest point 4.5 feet) The only difference is I have a technician watching me vs a therapists. Its not covered by insurance, but at $50 per eight sessions, its a steal.

I think my current technician is better than most therapists. She is the one most doctors who need treatment seek.

So, YES, Aqua Therapy is a BIG POSITIVE.

Just be aware in the beginning it may be tough...... And DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    directly from the Spine-Health main pages:

Water Therapy

For the Arthritis patients
    Water Therapy to relieve Osteoarthritis pain
  • Aqua Therapy is heaven on Earth! What I found most relaxing was putting swim noodles under my arms and hanging from them in the deep end of the pool. That took weight off my spine while in the water. Also walk in a figure 8 as briskly as you can in the shallow end. That helps build and maintain core muscles. Where I went actually put an exercise bike in the water for people to ride. It was certainly interesting to do that!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I have the OK to check out Aqua Therapy. I think after I find out my results from my latest MRI I am going to go and check out the local place. I NEED to get into something that I can get some exercise in.
  • There must be quite a few Aqua Therapy instructors out there. You might want to consider someone certified by AquaLogix (which has great exercises... they just have a "get sexy" marketing approach which I hope will end soon). Also, you could look at Rick McAvoy's page. I am in no way endorsing either of these - just mentioning them as possibilities.

I'm working with a PT and doing Aqualogix exercises. When I get out of the pool I feel great and my back is relaxed. Plus, the workouts are very good and I can do some solid workouts safely.
    You ONLY Want someone who is a licensed physical therapist and is trained in aqua therapy.
    Forget the other frills.
    This is all about helping one self in the healing process
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.