Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint injections under general anesthetic?

I have SI joint injections tomorrow in the hospital under general. I thought up until the hospital called today that I would be under twilight. Has anyone had this procedure done under general? I am fine with this as my surgeon can really get in there this way but the idea of general anesthetic has thrown me for a loop. My pain is so high today that I am looking so very forward to a positive outcome. Please let me know how you all have had this procedure done. My PM doc made a stupid comment to me that he could do this procedure and I wouldnt even have to take my clothes off. He does the wham bam thank you man ESI's....literally 5 minutes in and out. I have had many! Looking for feedback! Peace, Ellen
3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012

• You had many 5 min wham bam thank you mam ? Not even buy you dinner first ?

I had the injection and yes they usualy just have you barely pull pants down to inject same as other injections , I am suprised he is doing it in a hospital, Pain clinic does it in there office like any other injection ,

Some prefer sedation but I found Valium works enough to get through it as iv and all that takes longer then the procedure,
    I learned to avoid sedation that way I can drive myself vs with sedation they won't let you drive yourself,

It's not realy that bad if it's done by a good dr,

Good luck, Hope it helps,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am so confused. I am booked in the OR for 2hours???? Thats just the procedure time..not even counting recovery. I am hoping maybe he wants to getin there good and not be afraid of hurting me or of me moving..I really dont know, but the not knowing is starting to bother me. Not enough to back out because I am counting on this to be my save all...hahaha..I know, funny, right? Been a rough pain day so finding out tomrorow if the SI joint is the generator would be a gift. Have to feed my family now, but I will be back! Peace, Ellen
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking about you. I'd be confused too, 2 hours in the OR? Well at least you will know your doctor will not feel rushed. Hopefully it will help make a more positive outcome.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • HEllo, i personally had these injections done twice before surgery for diagnostic reasons. I won't lie. If that is the cause your pain, it will hurt. But it only takes ten minutes. I actually had mine done in the doctors office. I guess as long as the habe xray, they can do it anywhere. Good luck.
  • I had a trigger point injection. It was done in a surgery center. The doctor knew how much pain that I was having; hence, he opted for me to be anesthetized (sp). It took nearly two hours for the entire procedure. That included wait time, prep time, the procedure, and time it took for me to be awoken and, then, observed. I am grateful that I was anesthetized. The injection caused me MUCH pain, after all was said and done. I, sincerely, wish you well. Not everyone has a pain reaction like I had. I have had several similar injections and they always cause me increased pain that reduces after about 3 days. Again, all the best!
  • Most Hopsital ORs are billed at $100 per minute, and that's bed wheels in/bed wheels out so I can't help to think that if it could be done in say 20 minutes in an office, that's where it would be done or insurance wouldn't approve it. I've had lots of injections done with the fancy x-ray machines in a doctor's office, but never in the SI Joint (Maybe that's why its in an OR?)... clearly something is special about this situation. Please Ellen let us know how you are doing when you are able! In my prayers today! And CCLear 39 & Judith, I hope you are both feeling much better and back to everyday life! Injections (no matter where or what time frame) are NEVER fun, I always feel very sorry for the folks that endure them and still get no relief.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • A si-joint injection under general anesthetic and then hours later you find out you are booked in the OR for 2 hours. OMG!!! I don't think they are doing a si-joint injection. I would bet money on it that they are doing a RFA. Please let us all know what happened. Diane
    I had the SI-BONE ifuse implant procedure on August 6th 2012.
  • yomamabyyomamab Posts: 16
    edited 03/07/2013 - 12:33 PM
    I've had both kinds of si joint injections, therapeutic and diagnostic and didn't have any anesthesia or any type of sedation whatsoever for either kind. I wasn't even given a choice. Mine weren't done right in the hospital but in an ambulatory surgical center that is located right next to the hospital. I was taken back to a little cubical type room with a certain but didn't have to take off any clothes. In the operating room the one nurse pulled my pants down somewhat enough so that the doctor could get to my si joint area. I was only in the operating room maybe 10 minutes or 15 minutes tops and the actual injection itself is like zip zap and it's over with. I just got back from the hospital because I had a stress test done. I'm having the iFuse operation on Monday and am so looking forward to being out of this horrific pain. I don't know why they'd need to book the OR for 2 hours for you...judging from my experience. Well, I hope that it went well for you. Let us know.
    Had SI-Joint Fusion done using iFuse on March 11, 2013
  • While i have yet to get si injections i did just today have one in my lower lumbar region. Some insurance companies will only allow the procedures to be done within the setting of a hospital. I will only have an injection under anesthesia. I have a high tolerance for pain but i do not trust anyone enough to risk my body if something were to go wrong. If the worst did happen and something went wrong i am all ready where i need to be. I don't have to wait five minutes to an hour for an ambulance to arrive and transport me to a hospital. That is me and my preference though.

In my opinion anesthesia is a good option this way i don't unintentionally move, nor do i have to experience the pain,anxiety and fear of the injection. And if i did feel it i do not remember, i am thankful for that. Keep in mind no matter where the injection it is possible to have a flare of pain from the medication being injected into the site. It can last up to three days. I have heard of others not having this flair and feeling better immediately. Not for me though. The pain is always worse. This isn't,t to scare you but to make you as a well informed patient. The more you know before going in the better your mind will be able to wrap itself around what is happening. For me the first injection i had made me feel an almost disconnection between my brain and my body. It was confusing and a tad on the freaky side. After a few days this feeling went away. Things just felt different then my brain was used to them being. Also new pains that you didn't realize you had can pop up. When one pain is solved you notice the others you have.

Learn as much as you can and be well informed. I do not think it odd or strange that you are scheduled for such a time slot. The first shot i had i was in the hospital for seven hours. The doctors sometimes overbook and want you to be prepared for that. The one i had today, i went in at 11:45 and was on my way home at1:45. It goes by extremely fast. If you do have a long waiting time do bring something with you to occupy your time and keep the brain distracted. If you do experience high anxiety please tell someone. Don't worry about the time each state, town, county, does things differently. It does not mean you are having a different procedure or that something is wrong, it can all come down to just insurance policy.

Best wishes to you on your upcoming injection and heres to hoping your symptoms are decreased.
  • I had my first injection 5 weeks ago and will have my second tomorrow. I took Valium and before I could yell "ouch" the procedure was over. It is that quick. Unfortunately, the first one worked for only about 4 days. I hope this next one works better. I don't know what the next step will be if it doesn't.
  • Hello, I am new to the forum and wonder if anyone else has had SI Fusion? Though I was in terrible pain prior to my surgery, I am in much worse shape now. One of the screws is entering my S2 neural foramen, but the opinion was given by a different surgeon that the amount of pain,swelling, immobility,etc. that goes down my entire leg and foot is most likely caused by my sciatic nerve being injured during the surgery.I developed drop foot and cannot move my big toe, along with crushing knee, calf, shin, buttock pain. My surgery was last June, I was just in therapy for a second round but we put it on hold as my therapist feels we are making no headway until I can have better pain relief. Been taking Norco so long that they do not work, and I did begin TENS therapy,but I still spend 80% of my life packed in and on ice. Has anyone heard of such an outcome or have any ideas? Thank You...Kas
  • SpinegrlSSpinegrl Posts: 15
    edited 04/06/2013 - 5:42 AM
    I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I have heard the the SI nerve can become inflamed and be very painful. I also heard that sometimes they need to go back in and re-do the screws. I am right behind you with needing this surgery and am trying to educate myself to all the issues involved. I am having the "gold" injections on both si joints onTuesday at a out patient clinic and will be totally knocked out. I have had 5 spine surgeries (2 fusions) and am not looking forward to this one at all. I hope your surgeon figures out where and what is causing you so much pain in the nerves. Please keep us updated when you can.
  • Everyone seems to do it different, I had my "Gold standard" done awake with a local. I did just read that this test should be performed twice before surgery as a last option.Also, as I am sure that you know the injection should immediately relieve at least 75% of your pain while the lidocaine mix lasts...which is not long.I am trying to find out about a test with dye to see where the sciatic nerve was injured if possible. The surgeon who performed my fusion has that on her long list of lies as when I told her that was the opinion of other surgeons(reknowned) and therapists her response was that they were nowhere near my sciatic nerve. One only has to look at a diagram and it seems quite probable indeed that my incision is directly over the nerve path. My initial therapy should have been gentle, electrical,ultrasound, massage,etc.but instead I was on bikes,stairs,weight sleds...all of which was because I was not referred to a proper therapist and I am sure that injured the nerve more. Everyplace the sciatic nerve runs I have unbelievable pain and immobility. I think if you are having the SI-BONE process that therapy is fine, but I had Danek pedicles which one surgeon said he had never seen the procedure done that way. I have an appt. this Wed. with my old pain management doctor and am praying that she sees the need to switch me to Oxy with no acetameniphen in it as that is what harms your liver and kidneys more. The Norco at only 4 a day leaves me unable to move much at all and then you just atrophy more...makes no sense. Doctors are so worried about addiction when they should be more worried that pain patients commit suicide 9 times over national average, Not to mention that research over 20 yrs. old has long established that pain patients taking appropriate meds literally cannot become addicted for the simple reason that the medication does not go to the "pleasure"center of the brain. I will be praying that you have a supreme outcome, I hope you have all go smooth as silk. I hope my story doesn't make you more worried,