Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whew! Finally having surgery...I hope it works

*Big deep breath* I have to admit that I have been lurking your forums for some time now and really appreciating the information I have received from reading them. I am scheduled for a ALIF 360 fusion on my L5-S1 on March 12th. I have been dealing with extreme pain in my lower back that radiates down my right leg. Sometimes it feels as though I am dragging my right leg. Nerve tests came back that there was no permanent damage so that was good. I went through 3 rounds of steroid injections and felt worse after them than I did before. I just progressively got worse. Because of this, I have been out of work since January 12. I am anxious about surgery and the recovery but to be completely honest, I suffer from emetophobia, (the fear of throwing up). So the thought of waking up from surgery and being nauseas or throwing up sends me into a panic attack. I know I can't be the only person out there that has this fear. But honestly, I am more scared of this than the actual surgery. I have been so deep into a panic attack that at the time it seems logical to call it off. Of course I don't because then I go to stand up or something and am reminded of why this is needed. Any suggestions on what to tell/ask the doctor to help me not get sick?

• ...if you are feeling naseous, they can quickly change what they are giving you. That happened with me and then my surgeon let me control the drip - and thankfully, I was not in any pain at all (very unusual) so I didn't need to use it at all.

Just tell your surgeon what you wrote here. You're not the only person who has an aversion to puking, so I am sure he will understand. Just make it known and make sure to get it on your chart when you are admitted to the hospital that morning/day.

I've said this in so many posts - but you may want to consider downloading and loading onto your cell phone some 'guided imagery' audio recordings and start listening to them now, before you have surgery - and bring the phone with some ear buds with you to the hospital - and listen post surgery.

The one I downloaded from Amazon was WELL worth the $10 and studies show that listening to these can reduce pain.
    Since I had my surgery just 4 months ago, I never had any pain at all and never had to take pain meds at all. The only thing I can attribute it to is the guided imagery, which I continued listening to when I got home.

You can control your reaction to all of this - maybe these guided imagery audios would help with that/

Good luck to you.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • I have never heard of guided imagery but lord knows I have plenty of time of my hands these days. I will definitely look into getting some and bringing it to the hospital with me. Thank you again!
  • There are so many out there, I can let you know what worked for me, if you find it helpful
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    to my total hip replacement in 2011, I had an almost guaranteed bout of vomiting right after surgery (in the recovery room) for at least 3 days. And as you can all imagine, starting to have some aggressive vomiting after any surgery does not feel GOOD!

My problem was a reaction to the anesthesia. So, what they have been doing for my most recent surgeries (not spinal , but joint related thats to my spinal problems) is adding something ( I dont know what it is) to the mix when they start to put me under. I always talk to the Anesthesiologist before hand about this and they know how to take care of it.

Doing that, yep, I still vomiting, but it wasn't nearly as violent as in was in the past.

So, I strongly suggest talking to the Anesthesiologist prior to surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • MaryamK007MMaryamK007 Posts: 2
    edited 02/28/2013 - 7:57 PM
    I know exactly How you are feeling because I also get like that during my past surgeries (I've had 3). My 1st Surgery I had a laminectomy/diskectomy, and when I woke up I was so sick trowing up for hrs. My 2nd Surgery I had a diferent Dr, and I explained to my anesthiaologis that I'm very sensitive to medication and I explained my past Oexperece so he gave me a different anesthetic. When I woke up I didn't have any throwing up. My 3rd Surgery (a ALIF&PLIF) I didn't yave any throwing up at all. When you go for your Surgery make sure you tell the anesthesiologist that you ar very sensitive to medication so that he will make sure he gives you something that wont make you sick when you star to wake up. I will keep you in my prayers that your Surgery will go smoothly and no nausea or vomiting from the anesthic. *A good tip I can give you is a friend of mine tol me about appsauce helping with nausea. Also a Nurse from my 1st Surgery told me sipping coke will help with nausea. Just remember tell you anestheologist your sensitive to medication, and also if you want tell anyone who is part of getting you set up for your Surgery. Good Luck & try not to worry you will be ok, and it will be al over before you kow it.
  • PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 02/28/2013 - 9:37 PM
    MaryamK007 said:
    and also if you want tell anyone who is part of getting you set up for your Surgery.
    This is thoughtful and considerate.

I had a nasal surgery once that was out of town and I didn't get anyone near me to help me out as it would have been a major hassle for them. So, I contracted a care giver from an agency to drive me from the surgery facility upon being discharged to the recovery facility and to tend to me.

Once I was settled in and resting, my stomach let me know that there were residual remnants of the procedure that it needed for me to orally expectorate. It came on suddenly and I had to make an Olympic jump and dash to the lavatory. LOL! In my haste, I didn't close the door behind me. Neither of us were expecting such an event and it freaked her out a little bit. My stomach worked as designed which is a very good thing. I was fine and allayed her concerns and all ended well.

Good times, good times. LOL
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008