Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need help and advice

I have just had back surgery done back in june, from t1 to t8. Doctors say I will never be able to work again. I am old fasioned and I am going nuts not being able to work. I am stuck in my house all the time now and depression is really hitting me hard. I dont feel like a real man any more. I need help trying to get thru everything.
I went from earning a really good income down to almost nothing. Like I said I feel like it is my responcibility to provide for my family and I feel like I have failed.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to spine-health you have come to the right place for support and information. You will find other members having the same issues and experiences and yourself. I am sure you will find the site helpful.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 02/27/2013 - 2:42 AM
    Many of us can relate to that, The mental injury often is worse then the spine injury finding out life has changed and not being able to work , Many of us did not see that in our future and we feel our work measures us as being a man and such,

But let's face it even the doctor is not a fortune teller and can't say never ! Never is a long time and he can maybe say you might not be able to do the work you been doing and might have to make some serious life changes,

I was never able to return to work as I worked in construction all my healthy life and after back surgery forced on disability I have had my share of mental challenges and still do as we are programed that work is what makes us who we are,

But the sooner you realise beating yourself up emotionaly over something you don't have any control over and looking at yourself as less of a person for it is not the way to go,
    If a person is forced not being able to work from an injury he is no less of a person then a person with no injury that works,
    Working is easy, Overcoming an injury is not, And overcoming the financial strugle that comes with not being able to work as many of us know is the hardest along with dealing with our injury,

As we manage to overcome such struggles any way we can surely makes us much more of a man and much beter of a person then the norm !

Best wishes,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hello; I, too, am unable to work due to back and neck troubles and I also have chronic major depression. What I do to feel useful and appreciated is volunteer for an hour here or an hour there at a Nursing Home. You don't have to stay there for long and often, you can pull up a chair next to a patient's bed to talk with them or read to them, etc......Also, and this may be too low-brow for you, but I give Plasma twice a week to earn a little bit of money, It's not a lot but it can fill the gas tank and maybe pay a fraction of a utility bill. I hope this helps. I've had major depression my entire life and now with the back and neck pain....I find it difficult to even get out of bed...both physically and mentally. However, little things like having a friend over to share a meal you prepared or to watch a movie together can help alleviate the depression you are experiencing. Also, if you have a dog, you can take him/her for a very short walk. The vitamin D you get from the sun helps alleviate depression and so does exercise. It doesn't have to be a long walk, maybe just down the block and back. Your dog will love you for it and your mood will lift. Even though you hear that a lot of "Work from home" jobs are scams, there are legitimate "work from home" jobs that will help you pay your bills and support your family. Some of them are: telemarketing and medical billing, just to name a few. In Omaha, there is a place called Innovation Research and it's a place where you go to sample different foods and give feedback so the manufacturers can modify their recipes, textures, thinness or thickness of product or change the level of spices. Anyway, at this place, every time you participate in their studies, (which only take about 20-30 minutes tops!) you get at least $30.00. Other food studies pay more, also. There are also those drug testing lab jobs in which you either stay at the testing facility for a week or so or you can choose to travel daily to the testing labs to basically allow them to try experimental new drugs for efficacy. Remember, there is always a Placebo group, so you might get off without being a Guinea pig. Well, those types of studies pay a lot of money. I've seen them range from $400.00 to over $3,000.00,,,,,it varies depending on the length of the study and how much the participating company wants to spend. Also, they always reimburse mileage for your travel to and from the facility. Maybe these ideas will help you not only make some cash but also help alleviate your depression by getting you out of the house and getting your mind off of your pain and temporarily focused on something else. Good luck and God Bless You! Karen