Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Crawl before running?

I had my posterior fusion of L4 through S1 on Feb 16th 2013, with the surgery including the removal of hardware from previous stabilisation surgery from 1997. I was discharged from hospital after only 2 days, but probably to be expected I did take a downturn for a number of days with the level of pain increasing and great discomfort, especially when trying to sleep.

Things appear to be settling down again the last 2 days, and I have just started to follow some formal walking as I feel I need to be more mobile and have some measurement of progress to reflect on, not just lay completely immobile. I see my surgeon this coming Friday, and have already booked physio for next Monday in the hope this will be directed by my surgeon.

I just wanted to ask if perhaps I am trying to follow unrealistic expectations post surgery, and whether others have similar,early experience of post op results. I am currently on 4*100 mg Tramadol,,and 4*1 g Paracetemol daily, and am experiencing some gaps in my pain relief between finishing my Tramadol around 10 pm the prior day and starting again at 8 am the next day,with only 1 *1 g Paracetemol during this period.

Thank you all in advance for your help, having read many of the posts on here, it would seem this forum is truly set to help those suffering a wide range of issues and provides significant support to its members,

• Sounds like you are recovering nicely, As long as you don't over do it and you know what your body can handle it don't sound unrealistic , As long as you follow doctors orders about twisting bending and such to avoid stress that could cause fusion problems from fusing hopefuly each day you will feel stronger and less pain,

Good luck in your recovery,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks very much for taking time to post, it's always difficult to know if what I am able to do is positive, or likely to cause problems
  • I met with my surgeon yesterday, and he is really pleased with my progress and the surgery itself. He has okayed me for Physio starting Monday, and said so long as what I am doing doesn't cause me any sharp pain, I won't be risking any damage. I know it's still early days, and like most I do suffer ups and downs. Have been prescribed Diazepam at night to try and help me sleep, so fingers crossed this will help.
  • Good to hear. Good luck with the physio.
  • Thanks, I hope you manage to get access to the support you need too