Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Intense back pain from neck to lower back

Hi Guys,

My mother is in her mid 70's. Arthritis is in her side of the family. Recently she has had intense pain from her neck down her spine to base of back. This is continuous and all day.

She is using heat packs, walks as much as she can to take mind off it but it is overpowering.

Went to consultant yesterday and he put her on Solpadeine for the moment while waiting for X-Ray results taken yesterday also.

Im just wondering has anyone come across this kind of back pain? Most i have heard is neck pain radiating across shoulder or lower back pain down leg but not pain from neck to lower back.

Appreciate any pointers as to what this might be & any relief options if any

Aidan ( Ireland )

PS - Mods, I saw Chronic pain so popped it in that section. If wrong, please move to more appropriate area!

• I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope they are able to find a simple cause to this pain and can get it fixed quickly. Keep us updated.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • aidanodraaidanodr Posts: 3
    edited 03/04/2013 - 12:41 AM
    Thanks AllMetal.

No let up. Still awaiting results from xray.

24/7 intense pain down the spine. Constant headache in head from it.

Info from anyone with experience of similar?
  • I am 48 and have had the same intense cramp severe pain I think you are describing.
    Mine was like a charley horse cramp from just below my shoulders to below my hips,
    mine traveled all the way around my ribcage to my front side. I believe mine was nerve
    related. I have lumbar herniations, I was told it could be referred pain, from the lumbar.
    I too had tests, The only thing that helped me was an exersize log? Similar
    to a large pool noodle. I think they can be bought at walmart
    in the exercise isle.
    I layed on this foam roller, about at the bottom of my ribcage and rolled up towards
    my shoulders, rolling back and forth slowly. For me this is the only thing that helped me.
    I stretched/arched my back and just rested into the foam. There were areas too painful to
    roll over, so I did not roll on the extremly painful areas. I am not a Dr and dont know what your moms
    diagnosis is, but this is the only thing that helped tremendously. There are other treatments that will help a little bit, and in combination any little bit will do and be welcomed!
    If she is able to get into a bath tub, epsoms salts and a warm bath
    were helpful also, just make sure you use the right amounts of salts. You will be surprised at how
    much you need.
    See if you can get her to a Physiatrist. This is a physical therapist that is a Dr. if you googe it, Google
    will give you all kinds of wrong words for this profession.
    Please by all means do everything your docs suggest. This could be a step in the right direction.
    I hope she finds something soon to help her. Ask about lyrica. If it is nerve related lyrica or gabapentin
    are meds that can help with that problem. Hope she gets relief soon!! Please if you find out anything
    fill us in, so we can learn from her experiences also.
  • aidanodraaidanodr Posts: 3
    edited 12/16/2013 - 8:40 AM
    Hi Guys.

My sincere apology for not getting back in a long time. Thank you for the replies to AllMetal & Reesemay, much appreciated.

I am afraid I have no further news of any relief. It seems to be constant pain daily and very hard for her to keep the chin up. Pain is so much it effects everything. Even walking at this stage.

They have time with a physio who has given exercises that are occuring each day. Once company is there and activity - it seems to help.

Even strong NSAIDS dont help. She was on quiet a few Solpadeine, again to no avail.

She was for years bent over a sewing machine - a dress maker, I assume that hasnt helped either :(

Their are goods days and bad days - day to day now. Unfortunately it is my Father who is the main carer, though all the family get up at some point daily / day to day ..

• is the pain caused by muscle cramps?Spasms? If so, adding some potassium ( bananas and other potassium rich foods) might offer some help, too often, many of us find that our diets are less than they should be, and we often lack important vitamins and minerals, and potassium can contribute to muscle cramps and magnesium might help as well.
    Try some of the over the counter, muscle rubs and creams and other topical ointments for relieving pain and see if they help.
    She may need a different type of anti inflammatory medication since the first one didn't help all that much. Sometimes, people respond better to a different one than they did on another.