Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

seeking support

Hi. I am a 66 year old female. I have suffered from low back pain for about 2 years. About 6 months ago, I started to experience severe leg pain. I sought the treatment of a pain management doctor after a period of physical therapy which did not help. I had an MRI which showed significient degenerative disc disease with bilateral sciatica and spinal stenosis. I was put on vicodin and neurontin and scheduled for an epidural. When I had the epidural, it worked wonderful. I was without pain for almost two weeks. I went down to my father's and fell on his porch. The pain returned immediately. I had a second epidural which helped but not as much as the first and for about the same amount of time. The pain doctor wants to try a third epidural as he feels that sometimes it takes a series of three to get more lasting relief. I am scheduled for the third next week. In the meantime, I find the neurontin works pretty well. I take 3mg, three times a day. I also have the vicodin which I try not to take, but it does help alot. Can anyone give me any advice or encouragement. It is so hard living with this pain. Thanks for listening.

• Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 02/27/2013 - 10:20 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health.

You're not alone. What makes me happy is that the ESIs have been working for you and sometimes a series of three is the key to long-term pain relief. However, don't discouraged if it doesn't work this time. I'm happy also that the medications are helping. Almost everyone here understands what you're going through. Hopefully the fall created a temporary problem like inflamation that will calm down over time.

I really don't have any advice for you, but totally understand how hard it is to live with the pain. I've had one 3-lvl cervical fusion and two 1-lvl lumbar fusions, one I'm still recovering from that was done on Dec. 18. You might ask "Still recovering from after two months? Well, yes, it takes quite a while. But since you're not yet facing that (and I hope you don't have to), I won't discuss it any further. I'll just wish you all the luck in the world that this next ESI does the trick and you can get back to a normal life.

However, if not and things change, be sure to let us know. There's all sorts of various problems on this board, I even doubt there are two that are alike. But in any case, let us know how you fare with the latest injections and I wish you luck.

Take care,