Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have never felt more hopeless in my life.

I am such severe pain and nothing is giving me relief. I am on hydrocodone/acetominophen 10/325 and that will give me a 1-2 hour break, bringing the pain down to a 4 or 5 but I only get three a day. The rest of the day it bounces around the pain scale from 6-9 depending on what I'm doing.

I am desperate to keep my career, so I usually take all three hydrocodone while I'm there, but since the job requires me to perform most of my worst triggers I have been ending the day at 9 if I can even finish the full work day.

I don't go for my neurosurgeon 2nd opinion until April 8th. I have plenty of non-prescription pain control things that I use and none of them have been working. I am mentally drained. I don't know what to do and I'm feeling desperate.
Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.

• I am sorry for your pain. May I ask where your pain is located. If it is your back it might heal on its own. It will take time. Find a elastic back brace and sleep in it...wear it to work. Ice your back, then heat then ice. Start taking magnisum and omega 3. If it is your neck watch how you sleep. Ice, heat.
  • So many of us have walked a similar path. There isn't much you can do but keep breathing. April is a very long time to wait. Can you go back to see the doctor who wrote the vicodin? Perhaps they will try you on something different. Especially since you do already have an appointment. That would be my first (next) step, to go back, even if you have seen the doc several times and flat out explain you are still in lots of pain (take in notes to let them know the time of day you are taking the meds, the kind of relief you are getting and the duration) and you need to make it till your surgical consult. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • My PCP wrote me the hydro and I am seeing her tomorrow morning in the hopes that she will try something else because I would literally rather be in the hospital on a morphine drip missing my kids and losing my career right now than going through this. And throughout this eight month journey I've never ever felt that way, I've always felt like pushing through the pain at the very least for my kids and my career. But now I'm at my wits end.

cathy, this is definitely not something that's likely to heal on it's own. It's been ongoing for eight months and becoming much progressively worse every since. I have been through every conservative treatment that my insurance covers (meaning not acupuncture or massage but I think everything else). it's my neck. my lower back has been healing well thanks to a set of esis done by my pain management clinic. I have not had such luck with my neck. It's gone from a nagging 4-5 daily to what it is now during the course of me following drs orders and doing everything i'm supposed to do.
  • After a whole day of back and forth with my PCP's office they finally are having me see another neurosurgeon next week. They also upped the dosage on my hydrocodone. I saw my pain management clinic today and they upped the dosage on my topamax. Everyone's trying their best, and even my PM clinic who are typically very anti surgery are on board with the possibility if the next round of injections I have scheduled doesn't give lasting relief. (I go for the first one on the 21st). This has my spirits up a bit, and even though I'm hating how the extra hydro makes me feel, it is making a difference in the pain level.

I'm hoping that the pain level can stay down enough that I can get back to the things that I used to enjoy that kept my mind off the pain, a bit of knitting, digital and real puzzles, etc... As long as I have those mind occupying time wasters I'm usually doing pretty okay mentally. It's when the pain gets so bad that I can't do them anymore like it's been than I'm in trouble.
  • Hopefully the new rxs will help you make it to your consult. Keep us updated.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Holy crap I can never win...the neurosurgeon they're sending me to see next week is the same one that I saw in the hospital a week or two ago who had no grasp on my situation at all. So I googled him and oh well that's why he doesn't understand...he specializes in brain surgeries, cancers, tumors, and chiari malformations. *sigh* I'm going to call the practice on Monday and see if I can reschedule to see their other surgeon, who is more focused on spinal surgery and did my friend's ACDF. At the very least I do feel that I'm getting a better feel for how this process goes doctor after doctor...

So far so good with the extra meds, still dealing with side effects but the worst one, nausea, has gone away. As long as I take it easy and don't try to push myself or wait too long before taking the next dose of meds I'm feeling decently.
This discussion has been closed.