Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone out there taken Neurontin..did it help?

• Try this link.... maybe it will help you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • 33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Hi MomT!! Yes I've taken and still taking Neurontin, and it really does help. I've had 3 back surgeries due to a herniated L5-S1 which cause nerve damage to my siatic being compressed. Neuronti is a medication my Dr gave me and has increase the dosage a couple of times. The Neurontin really does seem to keep the nerves a little more calmer. Honestly I still have episodes of nerve firing, tingling, burning, ect but not non stop. If you don't mind me asking what's the reason your Dr is thinking to start you On Neurontin? I hope this has helped you out with your question. If I can help you anymore feeo Free to ask.
  • Hello-

I was on Neurontin for almost 6 months and it didn't seem to give me any relief- however, my nerve is so damaged that may be why. I wonder if after my L5/S1 TLIF they will put me on it or something similar?!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13

• Hi Teresa,
    I thought I would answer your post here, although you do know that I am on Neurontin/Gabapentin.

After my ACDF I still had nerve pain and symptoms much as MaryamK describes; not constant but episodes of burning, tingling and nerve firing/shocking. I think that these have reduced in frequency and level of pain since I have been taking Gabapentin. I am now weaning off so I will know how I am without this masking my symptoms when I see my surgeon in April. Because I was taking 2700mg each day, and you have to wean off this med slowly, I am having to allow plenty of time.

Have you started taking it now? How are you finding it?

• debjiddebji Posts: 28
    edited 03/02/2013 - 4:45 AM
    I imagine it depends on each person. I started off with flexeril and when that stopped working I tried tramadol which seemed to take the edge off during the day. Next try was neurontin which didn't do much to help. Then the pain increased due to my disk going from 5mm to 9mm so I was prescribed percocet which didn't work and then finally norco which finally seemed to help a little, especially when they increased the strength of the norco to use for after my discectomy.
  • Mom TMMom T Posts: 63
    edited 03/03/2013 - 11:03 PM
    Ohh and All Metal..thanks for the link :)
  • It seems to be helping me... Maryam.. I am taking it due to my L4-S1 Surgery on Feb 8th.. I have been having horrible nerve problems in my legs. It seems to be helping me quite a bit, however it is not helping ..so far..with my right foot and ankle..it still feels like I have a zip tie on my ankle and someone pulled it tight. I hope that I don't have this problem forever.. but it is still early in the healing process. I hope that I don't have to be on this medication to long,he has me on it for a month at 300mg twice a day. So far I have not had any problems or side affects from it. Debji I am glad you have found some comfort. Olivia.. I did not have this much problems with my nerves before surgery..I had a lot of pain across my back and pain in my buttocks and thighs and a lot of weakness... a little bit of nerve pain in the right ankle.. so I hope it is not permanently damaged :( I hope that you all are healing and finding comfort.
    God Bless and Prayers,
  • I had a 2 level fusion at L4/L5-L5/S1 on 12/5/12. After getting rid of the bursitis pain that came back after surgery (by getting a steroid injection) I have developed SI joint pain...lucky me!! My pain management doctor has put me on the Neurontin. I started taking it 9 days ago, so far nothing, but I know it take a while to get into your system. I do have to say it has thrown me for a loop. My doctor said it would make me sleepy, so start by taking one at bedtime and after a week try to take one at night and one during the day (100mg's is what I'm on). Holy Moly, making me sleepy was an understatement! I thought my tolerance for medicine was pretty high and this stuff really knocked me for a loop, it is getting better, but I still wake up feeling lightheaded and dizzy. Almost like I'm walking in a bubble. It goes away pretty quickly, I'm just crossing my fingers this gives me some relief. So I'm trying to be patient!
  • EsslevyEEsslevy Posts: 3
    edited 03/13/2013 - 5:40 PM
    It helped quite a bit. I did not respond to anti-inflammatories (including steroid epidurals), but neurontin made a big difference. I remember having to ramp up and then down, and the dizzy feeling the first day of the next higher dose. I think I took them for 6months or so. Then I was doing well, drug free for nearly 10 years.
  • MomT,
    Yes. I've been taking this medication for about a year now for nerve pain; and It does help. If you have just started taking the neurontin it takes a little while to build up in your system; that is why some think it's not working, and often times stop taking the medication before it starts working. I was one of those; my pain doctor told me to give it at least three weeks to get into my system. I hope this helps. :-)

• I have been on gabapentin for a few years. I started at one 300mg capsule once a day and now I'm up to three a day, but it definitely has helped with the pain that radiates down my legs. It doesn't, however, take care of the numbness and tingling I have.
    Tim Lewis
    Philadelphia, PA
  • Lyrica is also another nerve pain med. It does take a while to build in your system. It is a newer med. also used for fibromyalgia nerve pain. Something to ask your dr. about!
    radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion
  • HudsonJHHudsonJ Posts: 19
    edited 03/26/2013 - 9:39 PM
    I was started on Neurotin (300mg 3 x day) 2 weeks after my first microdiscectomy along with a dose pack due to pain came right back after surgery. Had another MRI and I had reherniated. I have had the same pain and numbness come back except the pain is worse. The Dr upped my Neurotin to 600mg 3 x day and put me on another dose pack ... It does not seem to be helping. The only thing I have noticed is I am a little sleepy after taking the 600mg. I am 36 and looking at a possible Spinal Fusion. I am also on Percocet 7.5 (2) every 6 hours and Soma 350mg 3 x day .... Nothing really seems to be relieving anything.

• I was put on this drug after my ACDF because I still had my nerve pain and symptoms. I was also getting stiffening spasms in both legs and around my abdomen. I slowly increased the meds until I was taking 900mg (3 x 300mg tablets) three times a day. I was told that you can take up to 3600mg a day. When taking 2700mg a day, my pain was much improved although I was still getting the stiffening spasms. I did find that I would get VERY sleepy if I ever sat and relaxed - whatever time of day this was. I have also put on weight.

I am now weaning off the tablets before I see my surgeon on 8th April because I want to be able to tell him how I am without masking any pain or symptoms with the tablets. I am now down to 1 x 300mg tablet a day and my pains have come back somewhat, but not as bad as straight after my surgery.

I am hoping that I will continue to get relief. My surgeon says that we won't know how much relief I will get until 6 to 12 months after surgery, so there is still time. I am nearly 5 months out now.