Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Months Post Op - First Post

Hello, my name is Mackenzie!

I've suffered with horrible sciatic and lower back pain for the past 6 years and in May 2012 I finally found out that I have degenerative discs and joints in L3-L5 area; one herniated L5 disc and L3-L4 bulging discs. I had a laminectomy/microdiscectomy in August 2012 and just recently found out that the surgeon didn't remove the entire herniation in my L5-I was told I had residual pain, but that wasn't situation. Very soon I may be undergoing another discecomy or possibly a spinal fusion. My vertebra are "shot". My sacrum is also sharply angled. Sounds great having such a bad back and being only 20 years old, right? Haha!

I saw a question somewhere on here about Neurontin-I took this medication for 3 months. It works as a nerve suppresant, basically. It did not help me at all, and in fact, caused me to fall asleep during my classes and created severe arthritic pains in most of my joints. I also developed petichia in my hands; the PA thought it was a rash. I used percocet for 3 months, vicodin for 2 weeks, and ultram for 1 week. At this moment, I do not take any pain medication. I'm just dealing with it as I did before.

Once my back problems are dealt with, I want to be able to go on walks with my daughter and exercise in general. I'm basically a hermit. I stay home as much as possible, find alternate modes of transportation, and am at my wit's end with this pain!

• Hello-

I am so sorry to hear that the first surgery was a failure and that you need to undergo another one. I am young too, 25, and am scheduled for a L5/S1 TLIF and Microdiscectomy on May 1st- this will be my first surgery and I sure hope it gives me the relief that I need. I also took Neurontin with NO help.... it was insane. I am on Vicodin and Tramadol for pain but those I don't take very often unless I am in too much pain- I've dealt with it all for so long that it almost isn't worth it. We don't have kids yet, but were planning on sooner than later- however, now the surgery has delayed that! :( Good luck with your second surgery and I hope you have a GREAT experience!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13