Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgical question

Hello to all, I just discovered this forum. I am scheduled to have anterior/posterior fusion to my lower and mid back. The MD told me that I would be in the hospital approx. 3 days. I had posterior surgery about 4 years ago with no healing of the fusion. It seems obvious that the 1st surgery was a failure and with the increasing pain I had to do something.. This is a different MD doing the second surgery and I feel very confident in him. My question is following surgery (per MD about 6 hours), how soon will I be out of bed. The same day as surgery? Will I be walking the same day of surgery.at least to the bathroom?? Are IV fluids, back braces,, Foley catheters routine?
I have read quite a bit and I can tel you I do appreciate the input of all of those sharing their experiences.

Thanks again!!

• hello. I too am soon to have a fusion. I am a nurse and have taken care of post-op fusion patients. You will have a foley and IV. most have PCA pumps which contain pain meds the first day or two. make sure you push the button when you are hurting. lol Our facility did not get post ops up until the day after surgery and physical therapy was the first to get a patient out of bed. All of them had braces. I have been told I will have one for my own procedure. I just got my approval so I do not know all the details yet. Good luck to you. Hope this helps!!!
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12
  • Hello there and before I tell you about my experience I want to wish you the best of luck!
    I am a 30 yr old female who underwent PLIF L4,L5, and s1 with graft and cage. My surgery was February 7th 2013. Upon going into surgery my mind frame was "this will not fail and I will not surrender to my pain I had had for the past yr" I went in and never looked back. Operation was 4.5 hours long, had a catheter, as well as a pain pump. I requested to get rid of the pain pump because honestly the oral meds helped more then the PCA. I was told 3-5 days in a hospital. I went home day 3. I asked to get out of bed three hours after getting to my room and they laughed at me. I simply asked them to get the doctors approval because I wanted to get out of the bed. Neurosurgeon gave the go ahead and I got up. Next day catheter was removed and I was seen by many doctors including the surgeon. I could have gone home day 2 however this all started from a motor vehicle accident last April and I have nerve damage in my leg do to a separate injury. They did not feel I was safe enough with the leg so I stayed. I have seen the PA for an incision check. My surgeon used "glue" to close me up. The incisions were closed up and healed within 1 week! I am 4 weeks post op and with be seeing the surgeon Tom. For a follow up. I am praying all looks good on my X-ray so I can start my new job. I too work in nursing however I have to stick to office work for awhile. I feel fantastic. Yes I have discomfort and yes I do have minor set backs however my surgeon is my hero. He has given me the ability to begin my "new" life.
    In conclusion, I want to tell you this. I am a healthy 30 yr old so I had a lot in my favor. I did end up with cellulitis and a blood clot in my arm but that was from a clot moving up my arm from an IV site. I am in no way shape or form a " typical" patient. I truly believe a positive attitude has enabled me to heal at least mentally. I have a bone stimulator which I must wear for 2 hours a day for 12 weeks. It's supposed to help my build bone and fuse faster.
    I hope my story helped you out if not hear a good outcome. Hopefully no more pain for you! Well let me rephrase that, less pain then before!