Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what now?

Hey y'all. Been forever since I've logged on. For the most part, because since moving to california, I've been able to manage my pain levels fairly well. Its been such a blessing really. I've had a wonderful primary who I adore. She is so easy to talk to, and never dismisses me as a "complainer". As much as I love her though, we have both hit a road block in my treatment.

She isn't an MD. She isn't really qualified to treat spine injuries. The clinic I attend doesn't allow for her to prescribe anything more than vicodin, which at 10mg 4xs a day, is no longer controlling my pain the way it once was when I started this program 3 years ago. Her hands are tied as far as treating my pain goes. The policy of this clinic is that for any further treatment, I would have to enter the new pain management program, with a new doctor. This program requires I be available 2-4 times a week, for counseling, physical therapy, even weight management. Forget the fact I've gone through pt six times, and forget all my phobias of doctors, I just can't see mself managing even two appointments a week- let alone four! The thought of having to go through the motions all over again, has my anxiety at an all new level.

Which brings me to this: what should I expect of my treatment? I wasn't a candidate for surgery six years ago, so what happens then? Do disks heal? Do they keep getting worse? I'm pretty sure I should be seeing someone who knows this stuff, and my primary unfortunately does not. This clinici go to is linked with every doctor in town, and is owned(?) By the towns hospital. Everyone you could possibly see in this town (with my insurance anyway) is governed by the same company rules. I don't think I can ,entally cope with this particular treatment "process" and I'm scared to death of this new pm doc. I currently have an appointment with a new doctor in the next town over, which is a pain since its about 30 miles away. The pain management clinic in that town is a joke according to online reviews. I'm starting from scratch again- and have no idea what to do, or expect even.

Has anyone else hit this type of road block in treatment?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    It would be real important to know if when you were not a candidate for surgery 6 years, has anything changed?
    Can discs heal without surgery? Yes, a number of people who have had mild disc problems, with an approved exercise program, physical therapy, medications can potentially see those damaged discs get better to the point where you can deal with everything.

But of course, a lot depends on the degree of the disc problem. And if its pressing on a nerve root, that adds to the complexity. You have been doing a lot of the things over the years that you should be doing to see improvement

I am real curious to know if something happened recently to spike up your pain? In your shoes, I would always be open
    to suggestions, trials to see what can help you. Go see this new doctor, see what they have to say. Maybe something positive will come of this.

btw: Since our conversations from yesterday, so many of your beloved RedSox came over to my beloved Yankees. But this year, I think both of might not be in first or second place....

Take care, it was good to see your name on the forums

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't remember the specific details of my original injury. I know initially I had three injured disks, one bulging, one herniated, and an annular tear. After years of seeking help, I finally got an mri on my hip, which shows a lesion on the bone (benign and not supposed source of pain) as well as two large cysts on the bone, thought to be pressing on nerves. I'm not sure which test showed bursitis, but I have that in both hips aswell. Up to this point, I've been fairly comfortable on my meds, id say till maybe 8 months ago, when it became clear my tollerance has me seeing more bad days than good. I brought the idea of switching to a different med at equivalent levels, to which I was informed of my primarys inability to prescribe anything else.

I'm currently dealing with new pain in the upper middle part of my spine, accompanied by headaches and neck pain. The realization that my current primary probably isn't the best person for the job so-to-speak, is what lead to the conversation about the "new" pain management program. She explained that as part of the program, id be required to make all these appointments. And while I know it may sound like I'm being difficult, I'm absolutely petrified of this pm doc. I've never had much luck with these types of programs. I don't know how I'll be able to keep up with the multiple weekly appointments, or what will happen if I'm not able to. I've become quite complacent with my current provider, and all those old fears and anxieties hit me like a freight train!

I know I can't continue on in this "limbo" forever. I know I need to put effort on my part, and I can't expect them to do it all for me. Its just finally come to my attention, that I have NO idea what I should expect as far as healing or if I'm facing surgery now. My fear of the "no treatment" treatment, has left me without a voice.
This discussion has been closed.