Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone here from British Columbia?

My family doctor has talked the local orthopaedic surgeon into doing the discectomy on the l4/l5 disc now rather than waiting for the MRI in May. Although I'm excited to not be in pain anymore, the local guy does may two of these types of surgeries a year :( I'm going to talk to my family doc about getting a second opinion from the clinic at UBC but am wondering how long the wait is to get in. Anyone on here know?

I ended up seeing the local guy only because I fell down the stairs and ended up in the ER. My family doc was working there that day and knew i had had a CT scan the day before. When he came back with the results he brought the surgeon with him. (Never a good sign) I was hoping to get better on my own and I think I would have if I hadn't fallen down the stairs before Christmas. Now we seem to have the pain almost manageable, as long as I don't try and do anything like walk or stand or sit....

I had the same surgery four years ago at l5/s1 and the results were fantastic. I have high hopes this time again but am not comfortable with the local guy doing it m
L5/S1 Lumbar lumpectomy Oct 2008
Osteoarthritis, scoliosis and stenosis in the lumbar
Herniated disc L4/L5 Oct 2012 causing spasm, sciatic pain and loss of sensation and strength in left leg

• You MUST be 100% comfortable and have that much more confidence in your neurosurgeon/orthopedic surgeons abilities! I had a minimally invasive L4-5 fusion. I wasn't happy with the first neuro I saw, so I asked the MRI techs if they knew of any other group in the area. I live in a rural area, I had to drive only an hour to get to a bigger hospital/clinic with good reputation. Well worth the trip. I am now 10 weeks out....I have really good days, and then it seems I have a couple really bad days. I live in icy Wisconsin, so we invested in an elliptical machine and gradually have been doing more and more. If I have a bad day, I listen to my body and try to take it easy. But stretching and strengthening are key!! But it you aren't happy with the surgeon, move on.....there are more. This is a long recovery, I've had 8 surgeries in my 48 years, this being the first on my back, and this has been by far the roughest one to come back from. I know I have a long way to go, but at least it's getting better. Before the surgery, I was just getting worse by the day! So, take the time to look for someone else. Don't be afraid to ask medical personal, they are the ones who see the outcomes. The MRI, CT, x-ray techs, nurses.....I'm an x-ray tech and have taken so many post-op x-rays and CTs.....and I have been in the surgeries taking the "live" x-rays (fluoroscopy) to know what the surgeons are like. Some are rushed, and you don't want that either. Then there are the surgeons that are trained to do it minimally invasively, which I would highly recommend! Just do your homework, it doesn't take that long, and it can mean the difference between a good or bad outcome! I live in Wisconsin, the winters get long....depression can be an issue too, when you are used to being busy....my mind says go, but my body says no! Good luck!!! Try to stay positive through this!!! I'm trying..most days are good, but I do get the down days. If I said it was easy, I would be lying...just do your best, but by all means, be happy with your Dr.! You are relying on them to make your life better!!
    radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion