Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion/discectomy concerns

I am a 35 year old mom of 2. I was hurt at work 3 years ago. I have herniated discs l4-s1 and bulging at l3 with an anular tear. After a lengthy battle I may be having surgery soon. An ALIF L4-L5, L5-S1,posterior spinal fusion at L4-S1 with I/A, and lumbar discectomy L4-5 L5-S1. I am really getting scared. Wondering if its really worth it. I know recovery is not going to be a picnic, but I am hoping the end result is feeling better than I do now. That's what I am clinging to. It has to get better. Thanks for listening!!!
injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12

• 33 yo mom of 2 here...and I'm not sure what "I/A" is, but I probably have it...lol. It sounds like the surgeon has a plan, are you just thinking it over for now? If you are able to "think it over" then you might not be ready yet... and that's a good thing! I'd certainly try all the conservative treatments first, and I'd get a second opinion for certain before going through the surgery.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I'm just overwhelmed.. and I have a to week wait to find out if the surgery is really approved. I have been through all types of conservative treatments in the past 3 years. imjections, therapy, work conditioning, chiropractor, rest etc. I have been to 3 spine surgeon who all said I would need the surgery if non-surgical options did not help. The pain is not getting any better. I'm just miserable. It's all just scary because I am at the surgery point and I know the recovery road may be rough. I am holding on to hopes that this will make things better than what they are now. I know I will never get back to what things were before my injury.
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12
  • Hello! I am a 30 year old full time working mother of 2. I had a multi level fusion (L4/L5, L5/S1) in December. I had the same concerns as you, as prior to the surgery, as miserable as I was my motto was the world isn't going to stop because my back was messed up. But I was also to the point where I couldn't mentally deal with the pain and after trying therapy, injections, etc... and the pain not getting better, my thought was, if I didn't get it fixed now, it could come down to an emergency situation and that would drive me crazy. I am (as I'm sure you are, being a mother) very organized, control freak and the thought of surgery and a long recovery made me nuts. I had to let that control go for a little bit and ended up doing the surgery in December and if I had to do it all over again, I would! I am much happier and even though it has taken a while, I thought it would be worse than what it was. I felt better (pain wise) immediatley. I was tired of not being able to to enjoy my kids because of pain, that's why I did it. Everyone is different, it is a big descion. My thought was at the point I was at, it wasn't going to fix itself, and I knew I didn't want to live in pain anymore, so I was willing to give it a chance and so far I'm happy with my descion. I wish you well and feel free to message me if you have any questions or just need to vent!! Good luck to you!