Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Back Spasms for 12 years

Hi, my name is Kate and I'm 22 years old. I have been suffering from severe muscle spasms since I was 11 years old. They are mostly located in my shoulder blades, but occur all throughout my back as well. I have had multiple MRI's, CAT scans, nerve conduction/EMG, and have been on every muscle relaxer, anti-inflammatory, pain killer imaginable, even cortisone shots. I have tried the chiropractor, physical therapy, massages and everything else I can think of. My rheumatologist (I have juvenile arthritis in my spine) diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, which some of the symptoms make sense, but not all of them. My pain is 99.9% just in my back, not fatigue, just spasms as if someone is stabbing me in my muscles. It is getting worse as I get older, I can't study, or sit through a class without taking a Vicodin (which I hate) it has affected my life in various ways. And I really do not know what else to do, I do not want to be taking pain killers every day, I can't even sit in normal chairs that aren't straight up and down. I feel like I have some underlying condition that hasn't been figured out yet, it is driving me crazy. I was also diagnosed with Lyme's Disease last month, but I was told that it was acute.

If anyone has any insight, or any ideas please let me know. I really need help.
Kate O'Connor
advertisement

Comments

• Wow! You have been through the mill.

I too had severe pain from tight muscles for so many years as I battled on working.
    It was only after I retired because I couldn't keep working, that my daughter suggested trying magnesium to see if that would help.
    Tried some powder from the chemist, but didn't notice any benefit.

Daughter then mentioned magnesium chloride liquid, which you can take in a stronger dose.
    Bought some of that, and noticed a benefit with a week or so. Took a high dose for several weeks until I'd topped up, then levelled off.
    I was able to cut right back on me 3 weekly massages, which were the only thing keeping me going.
    I now take magnesium every day, just a small dose. The one I take now is ReMag Solution. Just 4 drops on the tongue twice a day.

I'd suggest you read up on magnesium and the relationship with muscle problems. All sorts of other benfits too as it is an essential mineral. We tend to be deficient these days. Oldies used Epsom Salts for aches, and this is magnesium.

Lots of info on the net. I'd suggest that you also persevere with regular remedial/ sports massage. These problems can be very difficult to fix, and may take a long time.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,063
    I do hope that you find some detailed medical information on this site as well as using these forums.

I am sure by now, you know that chronic pain and spinal problems never discriminate. You are never too young, nor too old to experience this. If I am reading your thread correctly, with all the diagnostic tests you have had, no one has been able to identify a specific disc problem.

Years ago, no one really talked or heard much about Fibromyalgia, In many ways its become a catch all phrase describing someone who is in constant pain along with associated other alignments.

Only because you mentioned serve spasms and you did not get any relief from physical therapy massage, I am just going
    to throw out another form of treatment. Its traditional Thai Deep Tissue Massage combining both eastern and western style of massage. I stress deep, because the objective behind this type of massage is to go down to the soft tissue level and make harden muscles become pliable. This type of massage is something that physical therapist will realize is beyond their scope.

I started with this treatment over 5 years ago. I was referred to this little Thai man by my physiatrist. I was having thoracic problems (burning and stabbing around the shoulder blades) and had been through 18 months of physical and aqua therapy without much progress.

My first several months of deep tissue treatment was extremely painful. But this man eventually was able to get to my deep rhomboid muscle to make it pliable, which it turn took stress and strain away from my thoracic discs.

I still go for these treatments at least once a month. But it has gone beyond the rhomboid problem.

I started a thread a while ago talking about this Deep Tissue Massage Do some research into this. It might have some value for you.

Just be aware that there are not many standards regarding massage practices. Almost anyone could open shop and say they do Swedish (comfortable) and deep tissue massage. What you are looking for is a person that understand the body mechanics, and knows how each muscle,ligament, tendon is connected and why when one area has a problem, how it can impact another.

Good luck. If you have questions about Deep Tissue Massage, just let me know... PM me or email me.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hello, I just wanted to say that I have similar symptoms (continuous muscle spasms and sitting problem) so you may have a problem in the thoracic area.
  • ciara82cciara82 Posts: 1
    edited 04/29/2013 - 7:47 AM
    I was about yo post a similar thread when i found hours. I have suffered from severe spasms since i was 12 too but important 30 now and they have got worse. In my teenage years it was lower back and sometimes a nerve would pinch. the older i go it moved yo my upper back. i had an mri on my lower back at 18 and was told my discs were a bit worn but nothing to worry about yet. i now suffer from headaches that last from anything from 2 to 5 days about 3 times a month because the knots/spasms around my shoulders ate so chronic. If i sit sideways or don't sleep on my own pillow it triggers shoulder and neck pain. I spent 16 weeks in rehabilitation physio last year and it hasn't lasted. I'm told its all from my posture but i have seen so many people with worse posture and less active then me with no pain. i work at a desk job full time and am completing a masters part time, last sat i spent the day in the library writing notes and i woke in the middle of the night with a spasm so bad under my right shoulder blade that i couldn't turn over or sit up, i had to be lifted out of the bed, i screamed in pain when someone tried yo stand me up. 2 weeks ago some light house work trigger a spasm in the same place that was do bad i couldn't take proper breaths. does anyone have any help they can offer. i'm sitting in work on an electric back heat pad terrified my spasm Will come back not to mention my neck is already gearing up for one of my headaches
  • I also suffer from severe back muscle spasms that run from my low back on the right side all the way up to my neck. hitting my shoulder blade quite badly too.. It started with my dog pulling the leash and herniating my L5 S1. I had a Microdiscectomy by top NYC surgeon a little over a year ago. The spasms went away for 6 weeks and then returned. He has made no effort to figure out why. I too have tried nearly everything and have received absolutely no concrete help or diagnosis from the medical community. They just keep throwing new drugs at me and suggesting I try stuff I have already tried and have basically written me off as a chronic pain patient in a weird cycle. (Yes I'm bitter and angry. I had to dissolve my successful business and go on disability recently. I have no ETA to return to work as I have no idea how or if I can recover.) I too feel that I have a condition they don't "get" due to what happened with the surgery and a distinct cause and effect of when I sit, stand walk or any thing else it triggers these terrible spasms. I tried the magnesium therapy suggested by Peter B with no luck, though it couldn't hurt to try.
    I'm sorry that you are so young and dealing with this. Do you find certain activities cause the spasms? We should stay in touch in case we find any solutions to share.
    What relieves my pain temporarily is heat, ice, my massage chair (which is a God send), rolling my spine on a roller, painkillers, NSAID painkillers. I'm trying to get aerobically fitter by working out on the elliptical machine at my gym and am about to try swimming. Very interested in trying the Thai massage suggested.
  • malammala Posts: 38
    edited 06/27/2015 - 10:25 PM
    It does take long, I have the same, spasm and knife pain, for there years I can't take a deep breathe. I felt a snap in my shoulder blade. Now I feel electricity all over my back. I have lost my life and don't know what my future holds... All I know is I am sick of people saying its anxiety when it's not. I was so heathy befor this now my life has changed...
    All the best to u
  • Hi everyone, not sure if you all are still on spine-health... but ironically I was googling shoulder blade spasms and found my own post from 4 years ago.  Here I am, almost 26 and nothing has changed.  Still suffering from severe spasms.  Thank you all for commenting, I am not sure I logged back in after my initial post. Has anyone found relief? I am still in the same exact spot, I've now tried acupuncture and consistent chiropractic, and a cervical medial nerve block nothing has helped.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,907

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

You can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.