Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with neck problems

Around Oct 2012 I felt a ache in my neck while I was doing some work which involed me looking down with my head sitting down. After this happened I was in pain any time I would do anything that involves looking down with my head, eating, reading etc. But also any-time I would sit up straight in a chair I would feel uncomfortably after about 1 Min.

So when this happened I did the usual things putting ice/cold on my neck and going for long walks as often as I could. I saw the Pyhsio in December and she said my neck was hurting because I was not flexible enough and the muscles where too weak. So she gave me some stretches to do and told me to start swimming. So now I have been swimming for 2-3 months but my pain is getting worse and worse as the weeks go by, I have tried to do different strokes and cut down on how much I do swimming incise it is aggravating my condition. I am going to start doing something in the gym instead but I cannot see it being better than swimming for my neck.

But the past few weeks I have been in agony most the day sometimes the pain is so bad I feel like crying, its been 5 months and I cannot even sit in any position without being in agony or look down with my head. I am thinking of going back to see the Pyhsio and request to get a MRI because it should not be getting worse as time goes by should it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has had similar symptoms

• davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 03/05/2013 - 10:53 AM
    It's hard to give you concrete advice not knowing what you have done in the past, who you have seen or what country you are in as steps are different.
    I would think you shouldn't do any more exercises until you get a diagnosis. If you do something that causes an increase in pain, stop doing it, you neck is trying to tell you there is something wrong.
    Did the physio take x-rays or just felt your neck and told you the muscles were stiff?
    I have similar symptoms with sitting and looking down. I will eventually need a 3-level fusion, hoping to put it off for a few more years using traction at night.
    Please let us know what you decide to do and what they find.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • The physio did no xray just felt my back and hands, I have seen her twice but both times just said keep doing excerises or you wont get better even though I was getting worse and worse pain. I am only 22 so I have not done much of anything yet aside from college and Uni. The problem came from sitting in anckward positions for too long I think I had no accidents or anything like that. I am from the UK
  • I can see why the Physio might think it's just tight muscles and hopefully that is what the problem is. There are incidents where a simple sneeze will cause discs to protrude, bulge or rupture.
    Hard to believe you just got a stiff neck and it continues months later... Have you tried massage? One thing that has worked for me in the past on tight muscles is ultra-sound heat treatment and massages.
    Hope you get an answer soon.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched