Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op advice

Hi new here, i had my op on 14th Feb, after nearly a year of constant agony and numb fingers on the left i had a " C6/7 Anterior Cevical Discectomy and Fusion, the result was instant pain free apart fron incision at the front of my neck and throat area, nealry 3 weeks on and feelin good, throat still bit sore and index finger on left had still numb but feels "different", the bak of my neck feels a bit tender at times and sore/stiff in the mornings, still bit wary about how much movement i should be doing? im not sure what the surgeon replaces the disc with he said a cage but not sure what that means, is it metal plastic or what?? would love to get back into the gym but havent been given advice on this or how long till the neck is completely fused with cage?? was told 6-8 weeks recovery but nothing about returning to work as support worker?? i am 46 and so far feels great..

• I'm sure the doctor wil discuss going back to work and possibly the gym at your next follow up, but I CERTAINLLY wouldn't do either without discussing it with him first. The cage is most likely titanium. I know one of the "man made" pieces in my back is made of peek. So you might have both, or one or the other. Just keep a list of questions you want to ask your doctor at your next visit so you don't forget. Also, fusions take anywhere from 6-18 months (or longer/shorter) depending on the person. Sometimes surgeons can kind of see the start of this on x-rays, but normally do CT scans at various intervals where they can tell for sure how much fusion is taken place. I'd imagine the 6-8 week recovery was the "predicted" time it would take before you could slowly return to a more normal life... again... another question to write down. Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.