Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6 C7 posterior foraminotomy and disectomy

Hey there,

I am 34 years old and just recently (13 days ago) had a posterior foraminotomy/discectomy for a C6/C7 herniation and pinched radial nerve. Before surgery, I underwent an intense 6-week therapy program in an attempt to avoid surgery, completed (2) Medrol dose packs, but could not retain any strength in my right tricep, lat or pec . I had severe pain, atrophy as well as intense muscle spasms.

I am about to begin my post-surgery PT session to treat the loss of strength in my arm and the atrophy, but continue to experience these muscle spasms in my right pectoral and lat muscles. Is this normal? I am almost 2 weeks post-op. Will they eventually go away? I am assuming my body is probably still in shock, and am hopeful that I will at some point be able to sleep through the night without the twitching.

Has anyone out there also experienced these problems? I hope that I do not have to live the rest of my life like this or on meds to eliminate the spasms.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

• Dear BFarq, My experience was not typical however any Posterior surgery is going to take some time to heal. I would think in months rather than weeks. When they dissect the paraspinal muscles off your back to get at the offending disk, these need to heal. They have to push material to the side during the operation which needs to then strewtch back in place. Also if the discs were pushing on your nerves to begin with they can take up to two whole years to fully come back it badly impinged. so you will really need to be patient. Your problem was likely fixed however your body really does need time to heal. You are so soon out from your surgery. They may have told you you will feel much better in 5-8 weeks and you may be one of the lucky ones! But nerves take much much longer to heal and since they are the commander of your muscle fibers, you may experience those symptoms for quite some time because of that. You can ask your doc for nerve pain meds like gabapentin which are not narcotic but kind of dial down nerve pain to a more managable level..Warm wishes to you in your recovery