Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bra-line hump

Hello Everyone! I found this sight lastnight, so I am new. I am a 46 year old which was working an extremely physical job 10-12 hrs. a day. this was up until mid-December. I woke up one morning to get ready for work, but when I lifted my head off the bed while laying on my back, I found I had the most unbelievable pain in my back and had to basically roll out of bed and crawl to the bathroom. I have a high pain tolerance, and this was unbearable, so much I was crying. had no idea what was wrong or what I had done to cause that pain. Cant pinpoint how it happened. GP took x-rays, said it was a back sprain because the x-rays looked fine.That was three months ago. I have not worked since. I do not have health insurance. Was going to a Chiro, but have recently stopped because the pain has now become more localized to a two inch area directly on my spine, right below the bra-line and I noticed about a month ago that in that area it looks "humped" . The pain is unbearable, even when doing nothing. I suppose I have been compensating because my muscles in my lower back hurt and around the sides of my ribs. I know these are only muscles, but in that two inch area of my spine, if someone barely pushes in on it directly at that area, it grabs my breath totally. I lay flat on the floor and that humped area is the first to touch the floor. feels like I have a ball there. I try to stretch it out. There is one popping/clicking noise directly at that area when I move. That noise makes me nervous. Never did that before. Doesn't hurt any worse when it makes that noise though. It is painful to sit, twist, walk with a purse, and just stand. I feel an urge to push that area "back in" although painful(as in pushing up against a wall, laying on the floor). Also, to "elongate" my spine brings brief relief as I do it, but as soon as I let it go back, the pain returns. I try to do this while sitting, I put my hands on my thighs and push upward with my back straight. I know this sounds bazzare probably, but this DEFINITELY is not just a back sprain. I can feel it directly on my spine whether its being touched or not. I just take Naproxyn. Don't know where to go from here. Anyone have an idea what's going on or what it generally COULD be? Or anyone going through this? I appreciate all ideas and possible suggestions. Thankyou All! :)

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/07/2013 - 5:37 PM
    Clearly you need to go to a doctor, preferrably a ortho or neuro surgeon, but at least a doctor. I see you said you don't have insurance which of course can be very difficult. Maybe you should start by calling the doctor that did the x-ray and explain ALL of this to the nurse. Perhaps he'd be willing to see you again since the treatment didn't work and the "sprain" didn't go away. The phone call at least is free, and a good place to begin. I'm not sure where you live or what options you might have for free or reduced medical care. If the doctor's office that did the x-ray won't/can't help you, and you are in the USA, I'd suggest calling your local health department, or just driving there and speaking to the receptionist... they might could get you some help. Keep us posted.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.