Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

protrusion on the right, herniation on the left

I'm new to the site and have found a lot of useful information.
My sciatic pain started about 15 months ago with back tightness and pain, then moved to the left leg and calf and gradually became worse. I orders CT scan that showed disc herniation that was contact with two roots of S1 nerve. I was referred to PT that made things a nit better, so I was able to manage the symptoms, although the pain was almost always there. Then a month ago I reinjured myself by putting too much pressure on the lower back and since that everything is much worse. I have awful night pains frome the lower back through hip and posterior thigh to the lower back. But in addition to the pain in the left side I have tingling sensations also on the right thigh, at posterolateral asect, mainly at night and when lying down. A new CT was done which says that I have protrusion on the right side compressing the root of S1 and herniation on the left side, also compressing the root. Is that really possible that the herniation can affect both sides?
My GP referred me to the neurosurgeon; should I have a surgery if he proposes that?

• KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 07/02/2013 - 7:09 PM
  • My hernia also initially got better but ner more than say 70 percent of normal. Now its very bad again. I did also EMG which showed nerve dysfunction on the left leg. That was serious enugh to send me to the surgeon. Got appointment in two months - long time to wait and its not getting better. I can never really relax my back and that makes it extremely stiff. Most nights I sleep only maximum of 5 hours and even then half of it is just fluctuation between short sleep snaps and wakefullness. In the morning I have to literally crawl up from bed and it ttakes one hour - after 10 minutes of hot shower and taking painkillers - to start moving more or less, with significant limp.
  • terrim215tterrim215 Posts: 45
    edited 03/13/2013 - 8:24 AM
    Hi I'm 1 week today post-op for L3 L4 left herniated disks with a right cyst. The first neurosurgeon saw my MRI and only saw the cyst said there was nothing wrong go away. I saw another neurosurgeon in a bigger hospital and he saw the cyst but looked deeper and saw the rest he said surgery now so I did. If you feel good about what your Dr saids then go with your gut if not see someone else. Ask many many questions and weigh all options then decide. Hope good things come your way
    Thanks Terri