Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AxiaLif 1L

Hello everyone! I've been "trolling" this forum for quite some time and I finally decided it was time for me to join the forum.

Let me start with a little background:

I am 23 years old with living with my fiance and our wonderful 1 year old son. In the fall of 2009, I was diagnosed with a pars defect at L5, as well as some disc degeneration at multiple levels. I have undergone just about every non invasive treatment option out there - pain/inflammatory medications, 2 years of physical therapy, 3 rounds of cortisone injections, 2 rounds of radiofrequency, an immobilizing brace, you name it, I've probably tried it.

During my pregnancy, my fiance and I relocated to another state so I could be closer to my father. This also allowed me to find another surgeon to work with. I felt that in my hometown the doctors weren't taking the constant pain I was in seriously. They also insisted that doing surgery on someone of my age would be a waste and that within 10 years I would be in a wheelchair because my back would give out. This may or may not have been true, but I felt like I would never get relief from the daily pain. Even lifting my son became a chore. Finally, after months of searching for a doctor in the area, I found one. He ran multiple tests that I had never gone through beforw and discovered that on top of the pars defect, the vertebrae have slipped more, more discs have begun to deteriorate, and I have a compressed nerve at L5 S1.

We talked about multiple treatment options, amd came to the conclusion that surgery really will be my best option. I will be undergoing the AxiaLif procedure on April 4, 2013.

My question is this: Those of you thay have undergone the surgery - how has the road to recovery been for you? How long before you could return to work? I have only put in for 2 weeks, as the doctor said as long as I sit and take it easy, I should be fine, but it seems like an awfully short amount of time? How long until you got your mobility back?

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/07/2013 - 6:05 PM
    I have not had this procedure, but I'd take some comfort in knowing that your doctor probably has a pretty good handle on recovery as I'm sure he has (hopefully) done many of the procedures and is taking into account your medical history, age, and current level of fitness. I am a HUGE proponent of getting back to work/life as soon as it is medically safe. I suggest you ask for a follow up specifically 2 weeks after your surgery regardless if this is an "extra" appointment to discuss if you are ready to go back to work at that specific time.

Since you have a few weeks before your surgery I HIGHLY suggest you start stocking your freezer with nutritious homemade crock pot recipes/casseroles. You can find TONS of ideas online. I find I'm able to deal with the stress and anxiety of surgeries better if I feel more prepared. If you do return to work in 2 weeks (or even 3 or 4 weeks) you will probably also be seeing a physical therapist after work. So between working and PT, cooking will be out several days of the week most likely. Now, there is nothing wrong (in my opinion) with running through a drive through given the circumstances, but knowing that at last a few times a week you can provide your precious one year old (and you and your fiance of course) with something nutritious will keep you feeling like a "mom", and trust me... the weeks you aren't able to pick up your child/etc it's easy to beat yourself up about not being a great mom, so this will help with those feelings. Mobility might take awhile, but it will come.... and just think, you will be so much better equipped to deal with those terrible twos once this is all over with :) Good luck, PM me if you need to vent/ask questions, etc. Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I've already began the stockpiling of crock pot meals in the freezer. Complete with instructions for him to follow. Otherwise my poor fiance would being eating mac n cheese and pancakes for a while.
    I guess I never really though about PT post op... makes sense, though. But gosh I hated it...
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/08/2013 - 1:27 PM
    pm me some of your best crock pot freezable recipes!!!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I am wondering... I keep seeing the term 'alif' in this forum... is this the same procedure as the axialif?