Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 Hours Post Op Microdiscectomy l5 S1

Thraham94TThraham94 Posts: 5
Hello everyone my name is Tom I'm a 18 year old kid from Staten Island. My whole life I was very active including wrestling in hs, body building, basketball and all sports pretty much. About 8 months ago I started getting pain radiating down my right leg. I told my father about it and him being experienced in back problems he told me it was probably a bulge and to stretch it out so it goes away.. Well months of trying it only got worse and continued doing me. In aug of 2012 I got a MRI showing a large extrusion in the l5 s1 level. Tried PT and chiropractor and it did nothing.. My mom called a excellent rated surgeon in the Bronx who's preformed over 1400 successful back surgeries his name is DR. HOUTEN and I completley recommend him ! I went to see him last week to schedule surgery and it was scheduled for 3/7/12.. I'm about 24 hours post op and I feel AMAZING.. For the last 2 months I could not walk or anything I was glued to my bed. This man gave me my life back I have zero sciatica just reg pain from the incision which is normal in a microD. I'm writing this because I've read four a for the past 8 months and all I see I'd people sharing terrible stories which will make people not wanna get this surgery and have there lives back which is total bull**** . The surgery went amazing and changed my life!!!! So happy. Now my questions are is there anyone out there with a similar experience to me ? Any suggestions for recovering the best way possible ? Thank you all for reading this and I really wish everyone luck with these back problems be sues they are NO JOKE ! Thank you - Tommy

• KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 07/02/2013 - 6:50 PM
  • Thanks oh for your reply keytan... MAy I ask If u had a MRI ? What r u dealing with exactly maybe I have some advice
    edited 07/02/2013 - 6:51 PM
  • That seems like a lot but at least ur not past the point of fixing it yourself like I was.. I would deft be icing my back taking anti inflammatorys and doing PT.. If our scared of surgery I wouldn't be because mine went amazing.. Hope everything turns out okay with u though it breaks my heart because I know what's its like
    edited 07/02/2013 - 6:51 PM
  • hey Tom

I just had my microD on the 6th of Feb this year and it went amazing as well. I was just like you, for 2 months I was bed ridden, it was horrible. I couldn:t stand up straight or walk. Going to the toilet was such a struggle and taking a shower (which i did twice a week, basically whenever I REALLY needed to take one id have to), was a big challenge. I got many shots and they didnt work at all, and the painkillers I was being prescribed was not working. Many nights just crying in pain.

It did feel apprehensive at first though because yes, so many posts saying I AM WORSE NOW THAN BEFORE THE SURGERY and such.. but I really needed to go through it, there was no other way, I was just lying in bed all day every day. Im glad you got the surgery. :)

they shaved the disc off L5, but I have another possible hernia on S1 so I have to be careful about that. And my discs are completely black, its not full of liquid and spongey, so the doctor said I may need to put bolts in there later on in my life. Who knows, there are so many advances in the medical field.. positive thinking!

• Hi all. I'm 5 weeks post op , and in absolute agony with leg spasms. I'm on all the painkillers from the hospital but when the spasms come I'm in agony this happens about 20 times a day.Please please tell me it does get better. Today I'm thinking on phoning the hospital , but I don't want to waist there time. Is this all normal.
  • Hope today finds you in as little pain as possible! If you havent come across my posts, I am almost 7mo post-op from my microD.

Tommy, some docs tell alot of us we are too young to have the kind of problems that we have. Your story once again shows that each person must be treated as an individual.
    The best recovery advice I can give you is this:
    #1 TAKE IT EASY! we have to work hard for our recovery, hopefully its easier for you being 18, but that poses some more risks also. you have to learn to think before you move, it sounds easy but it is not. you have to slowly build up your muscles to support your surgically repaired back, and that takes time which leads to
    #2 EXPECT UPS & DOWNS you said it yourself, you feel great, and that is very good. But there are gonna be days when you feel anything but great, you are gonna get depressed and angry and impatient. you are going to try to "rush" your recovery, and that will not help. you have to take it one step at a time. which is alot easier if
    #3 FIND A GREAT PHYSICAL THERAPIST. everyone is different, and everyone needs different amounts of therapy. I needed 14 weeks worth. My PT taught me so much about my injury & recovery, I do not know where I would be without. and one more for ya
    #4: STRETCHING & ICE ARE YOU NEW BEST FRIENDS. pretty self-explanatory there.

Good Luck!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 03/21/2013 - 10:13 AM
    I had many setbacks throughout my recovery. Fortunately spasms is one of the problems I avoided. But your question "is it normal" can best be said as: It is not abnormal. Our bodies react strongly to the trauma of surgery. Its not to be taken lightly. When you are having problems you should not hesitate to call your surgeons office. Usually a nurse will return your call to answer your questions. I can also tell you that weeks 4-8 were some of my hardest times. That is usually when people return to work, start PT, and just generally start returning to activity after the initial rest & recovery period. It can be a really tough timeframe.
    Are you in PT? the spasms are something that therapy should be able to help you with.

Good Luck! Any of you can feel free to message me, I try to check in regularly to offer any help I can. So many great people have helped me on these forums along the way!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Pricey I'm on flexeril 3x a day .... My spasms were out of this world pre-op. I've had surgery a week ago and the buttock pains are still there so my fam doc told me to continue flexeril. No spasms as of yet.
  • Thanks for sharing this inspiring story Thraham94. As it was said earlier, people who have had successful procedures have little to write back and forget about this forum leaving us a sea of not-so optimistic stories. As someone suffering from a similar history, age group, and weighing down the options, you made my day.
  • I am a month out of l4/l5 s1 microdiskectomy. I was in hospital for 3 days post op with nerve pain in buttock and leg. Incision healing well the 1st week. I developed a bulging at the top of my incision with really no extra pain. My incision was completely healed at 10 days and strips removed. Bulging continues to grow and is the size of a golf ball at the top and goes down both sides of incision. I had 2 repeat MRIs with signs of fluid but not an increase from time before. I developed extreme sciatic pain in both legs and pressure at tailbone and into vaginal region. Went back to hospital with no bladder function and spent 6 days in hospital. I am on foley cathider and sent home for 6 weeks on cath. 1 week later back to neuro office with same size swelling. Leg pain has improved and feeling better. They want to go back in and see if there is hole and repair. I am scared to death of reopening the area and messing with my back again. Does anyone else have the bulge and what have you done about it?