Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4, L5 extrusions and leakage in L5 and S1

Hi all,
I'm new to the site, but not to the back pain...!! (Lol)
About 16 years ago I fell (about 12'-15'ft) at work and landed across a metal rack. I was only off a couple of days, and like most of you... Just figured the pain would go away !?... Slowly over the next couple years, I found it harder to do stuff, and some stuff I've had to give up all together...!! I've been through "All" the physiotherapy programs, chiropractors, acupuncture, exercises... etc....!!! I am 47 yrs old 175-180 lbs (of muscle)... Physically fit, in good health, the only problem is this "€%~#" back. I've managed to continue to work (modified duties) since my accident but am always struggling with the pain (from 4's-9's)... But the last few years seem to be getting worse...??
Well here we are 2013 and I'm only now actually getting a "real" diagnosis...!!!, first was "Degen. Disc Disease", then "Facet Joint Dysfunction"... On my 4th or 5th MRI a pain clinic narrowed it down to L4, L5, and or S1 nerve roots. They want to start steroid injections, then nerve blocks once they pinpoint it. I really hoping it doesn't end up in surgery as I have heard some horror stories...!!!
I can still manage to ride my motorcycle, it seems that is the only "mental" relaxation I get anymore as all my "Hobbies" have slowly been eliminated due to my back pain. My greatest fear is loosing the ability to ride...!!
I am 6-8 years from retirement, and the company has decided to try and increase my duties... (Due to budget / funding) at the same time, my last MRI has shown the disc is ruptured and leaking at L5, or S1... "What Next"...??
I've been fighting with this so long, I just need to find a "Break" or some sort of partial / temporary relief...??
No one can understand unless they are in "Our" situations...!!

• I know how you feel.I have been active my whole life and have always done heavy work my whole life.Ive had a cleaning buisness for 30 yrs and also took care of all the work around the house. It finally caught up to me . I ve had back pain the last 4 yrs and i have tried chropractor, physical therapy,hot and cold packs,and finally steroid shots. Nothing worked so i went to a good surgeon and he looked at my mri and said how have you been working. I said in alot of pain. I didnt want to give in until i dropped the vacume down the stairs and my customer had to put all my supplys in the car. I knew then i was done.The surgeon said my vertibra is tilted forward over the disks crushing the nerves in my leg. Next wed the 13th im having ALIF L4 L5 S1 Lumbar surgery and i am a wreck but i want my life back.He said if i dont have the surgery i will be crippled.I also have scoliosis and RA but im not sitting around the rest of my life lol.I hope things go well for you and im glad you found us because if and when you need surgery this site is so helpful good luck Kathy
    Kathy B