Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Working out and weight loss

Just wanted to know if anyone has any advice. Aside from eating right I'm wanting to lose a few pounds and the aches of my body not getting a regular workout are killing me. I need to workout. I'm 19 days out from ALIF. I'm about to start walking more and I've got 5lb weights to do upper body stuff but I'm getting frustrated not doing anything is hurting. Any input?

• check with your doc before you do anything, but i would ask about anything in a pool. my doc let me go back to the pool about 3 weeks after my ALIF. but i had restrictions. i was allowed to do aquajogging with the weight belt. but no lap swimming for a while. but anything was better than nothing.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    You might be asking for more trouble if you start too soon.
    The only person you should be listening to right now is your doctor.

We have had members here that were too inpatient after surgery, and starting doing things they shouldnt (including exercises). They wound up hurting themselves so more and went for additional surgery.

So, I dont think you want this to happen - Talk to your doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can totally relate to feeling antsy post-surgery. I was used to stretching every morning for years, and working out regularly. My doc told me to do nothing but walk post-microdiscectomy until I saw him again. And he only scheduled me at 5 weeks rather than 4. I asked him at 3 weeks if I could restart stabilization exercises and he said no, just walk. I get the sense that he is quite conservative. But he also said that the highest risk of reherniation is in the first month. So, as suggested above, check with your doctor and try to be patient. Also, even though 5lbs doesn't seem like much, I would think that you should be careful with free weights.

Somehow I manged to lose 6-8 lbs in the first month after surgery. I ate a lot of soup. I also think that as a result of some mild depression, I was eating less. Also, as I started to walk more and more--up to around 2.5 hours per day--I must have started to burn more calories. So now I am cleared to go back to gentle exercise and physical therapy. I went to the gym yesterday and boy am I sore...
    Microdiscectomy L5-S1; Jan. 28, 2013
  • I appreciate your input. I don't see him until the 19th. I will stick to the walking and 5lb weights for bicep and tricep workouts. My shoulders are killing me. I just now started sleeping on my side with pillows for support. I just hate laying around and feeling my muscles atrophy
  • I can totally relate. I have not felt so tight and weak in years. Sleeping on your side with a pillow between your legs is a very good thing. I didn't like it at first, but I have gotten used to it and it feels like it keeps my back in a much more neutral position. Good luck!
  • I can only sleep comfortably lying on my left side where my incision is all 8 inches of it. It's horrible. Lying flat is so uncomfortable. I can NOT wait to be back to normal. I really would like to try and concentrate on walking more. But some days I get so weak and just showering takes all I have and I have to lie down afterwards. This is truly a challenge. It's gonna be a long time before I'm signing up for any mud runs ill have to cheer for my husband on the sidelines now and I hate that
  • Perspective is so important, especially in the early weeks. After my surgery the doctor said that all he wanted me to do was to walk for the first month. My goal was to do a little bit more each day. On day two, a 5 min walk around the house was exhausting. Like you, showering was an ordeal. After a few days I made it out to the street. Then each day I would try to talk one or two houses farther. Little by little I made it to the point that I can now go 60 minutes in the morning, 30 mid-day, and another 60 in the evening. But often I have to lie down after I do something. Sometimes it is depressing, and it is often frustrating, but as long as I can still see progress each week I can remain optimistic. So, I would suggest just trying to push your limits little by little, and use your pain as a guide. If you overdo it, your body will let you know. Then you can back off a little bit, and once ok try again. I also find that ice is like magic. Good luck!
  • Thank you so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I've made it to the grocery store granted I ride the scooter but hey I'm out. And I can go out for a few hours and I'm good. I have a walker with a seat a true lifesaver and a cane. Anytime we leave the house both are with me. It takes me so long to get ready it's amazing how quickly your energy is drained from you. I'm going to start focusing more on my walks starting tomorrow. He said I should be at a mile by six weeks Monday will be three weeks.
  • steven61ssteven61 Posts: 37
    edited 03/10/2013 - 11:27 AM
    Out with a scooter is better than not out at all! And one mile is a good goal, but it doesn''t really matter if it comes at 5, 6, or 7 weeks, as long as there is progress each week. I just got back from a 90 minute walk (over 5 miles!) and I feel pretty good. I am icing it, but it is just slightly uncomfortable. I see in my notes that I tried to walk 90 min two weeks ago and I was a wreck afterwards. So I backed off and stuck to 60. Yesterday I managed to go watch my girls play soccer in the morning and tennis in the afternoon. I was tired and sore at then end of the day, but two weeks earlier I had tried something similar and was in bad shape for a day or two. So, as long as there is still improvement, however small, that is more important than how little we might be doing relative to our pre-surgery "normal." Keep it up!