Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

more surgery and pain meds

I need another fusion
iv been stuck in bed for almost 6 weeks
I keep hoping it will get better and it has sort of.

im afraid if I go under the knife ill wake up screaming as I have built a tolerance to pain meds

I take 8mg of Dilaudid 4x a day and 2 ms coton 30mg a day
they hardly work any more
when I was in the er they told me they don't have anything stronger

am I screwed or what?

if I go under the knife whats going to happen?

• I suggest you talk to your doctor about your concerns. My surgeon packed my surgery site with morphine so when I woke up I wasn't in pain. Hopefully your doctor can do something of this type to help with pain control.
  • Have you been back to the surgeon yet? Has the surgeon said you are needing a fusion? Or are you just thining you probably will need one based on your pain? You might be putting the cart before the horse if you haven't already been told they are ready to schedule a fusion.

As far as pain is concerned, I have read some posts on here before where the surgeons requested/insisted patients stop narcotics (or greatly reduce them) leading up to surgeries so pain could be controlled later. This had some patients very upset (as I can imagine how much that is to ask).... It is important for your surgeon to know exactly what you are taking, when, and the relief it gives you. I wouldn't adjust any of my medication without first discussing it with a doctor. And I wouldn't schedule a surgery without having the discusison up front with the doctor on the plan to control your pain post op.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • last time I seen him (year ago) he wanted to fuse 3-4 4-5 l5s1 is already fused
    I was better in a month so I put it off
    now im in severe pain and this time I don't think it's gonna go away like last time
    when I went to the ER they were telling me that I was maxed out on pain killers and that im screwed
    iv been tapering of of my meds but this is very hard to do when you are in severer pain
    and the withdrawal symptoms are,,,,,,,,, well you know

im just scared im going to need emergency surgery and im going to be screwed

then there is the being broke and feeling worthless............ I wont get into that :(
  • I wouldn't suggest you taper your medicine without your doctor's support. That can be the surgeon or the doctor prescribing the meds. I would get in to see the surgeon as soon as possible. And I'd talk to my primary care doctor about treating depression as you are having to deal with all of this.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • ricymardonarricymardona Posts: 16
    edited 03/14/2013 - 5:36 PM
    I think you should consult with doctor.
  • Iron Man, I am someone that has had back problems for years. I had four back surgeries and in between I took very strong pain medicine. So I also had the same concern about tolerance to the pain medicine. Before surgery you always talk to your anesthesiologist, and he will explain what he's going to do. THIS IS WHEN you MUST make sure he knows what your concern is. As he will be the one in charge of your pain during and after surgery in recovery. He has to make sure your pain is under control before they take you to your room. I would also make sure that there will be a pain team on board for your aftercare stay in the hospital. All these people from the anesthesiologist to the pain team are trained to know what to do for people that have been on pain medicine for a long time. I had not only back surgeries but other surgeries, some very invasive. Anyway, this is what helped me. And also as someone else mentioned, they may pack the surgery spot with straight morphine or diladid or whatever it takes. Good Luck and hopefully you will find someone to help you have a better quality of life.
    Linda Brozik
This discussion has been closed.