Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bob of the forest; Thing were so good before. Part II (official page)

Bob in the forestBBob in the forest Posts: 287
edited 03/11/2013 - 5:28 PM in Recovering from Surgery
It's been two years and a month since the last major back reconstruction surgery.

The surgery:
There were two surgeries on February 2 and February 4. The first surgery on February 2 they went in to the front side, the abdomen. A four inch cut was stretched out to 12 inches so they could have access to my spine and replace the disks with man made bone. That took five hours.
The back: That was a 19 hour surgery that all the screws and rods were placed in and bolted down. They had to drill holes in the bones to prep the spot where the screw went in. All the hardware is made of titanium so I can still have an MRI.

Standing up I have a lean going on. I lean forward when I'm upright. I'll stand in the doorway and push myself up. I feel very light headed. There's a pain not like I've ever had before. It sort of takes your breath away. I don't walk fast not like I normally did. Thank goodness I get a cart to lean on at the stores. I couldn't make it around the stores because of the distances. It's real depressing trying to walk. I'm thinking this is as good as it's going to get. I have to be grateful though because I'm not waking up in massive pain like I was before surgery where I'd get a nerve pinched and would have a hard time getting out of bed. Then I'd take hormone that was an anti-inflammatory.

When I first came home it was a bit hard getting around the house. At first I was a bit panicked I didn't know how I was going to do many things such as taking a shower. I had nurses coming by which was nice for the visit besides for why they were here. The night sweats were a bit shocking. I'd wake up and be soaking wet. I'd have to get up with my walker and change cloths. I looked it up on the internet but couldn't find any cures. The whole surgery thing left me feeling like my body was violated. This surgery was so much more then the first two surgeries where they just cut through the muscle and trimmed the disks. The scar on my stomach has shrunk down to about 4 or 5 inches from the stretched out 12 inches they worked through. Looking at the x-rays makes you cringe because of how big that assembly is. I don't know how they got under the muscles installing all those rods and screws. I'm really hoping that this is it for my back surgeries. I'm hoping that I wouldn't have to go through another month in ICU and all the recovery. Then you get to a point and say surprise this is it and it's not getting any better.

Was outside on the front porch with a little skunk with a hurt leg. I'm not sure how she was hurt but I've been feeding her by hand to get her strength back. She was looking pretty bad when I first saw her and now she's even walking on all fours but hold the one leg up at times. Her stripes don't go down the middle but are shifted to one side. Getting out there with her and feeding her I escape from my aches and pains. Then I stand up to come in and my knee makes so much noise you can hear it standing 20 feet away. I recorded the sound without even putting the mic next to the knee. I'm going to take the sound track with me to the doctors. I also have other animals that come here to get some cat food. It's rather nice break to interact with them. I've read that foxes and raccoons are enemies but not here. Everyone gets along. It's just amazing. It also is amazing that I can put my pain aside while working with them. Then I come inside and walk with my lean.

eeks of laying \