Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pregnancy after disk herniation surgery

Hi there. I am new to this site. I had two back surgeries for disk herniation in 2010. After my first was born I had a herniated disk at L5-S1. I have been doing well since last summer we when started hormone therapy. I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same situation as me. Also, with my first, I had a section. My doctor told me instead of doing another awake section, they would put me to sleep. If anyone can elaborate on this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

• My SIL was unable to give birth vaginally so they were going to do an awake c-section but since she was born with spina bifida and scar tissue they were unable to do the freezing in her back but because of scar tissue and being unable to access her spine she had to be put under anesthesia to sleep while they took out the baby by c section.

You may want your Ortho surgeon to speak with your Gyne Dr. about all this. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I find it VERY ODD that they would not do an epidural on you, especially since they can place it in above this level in the lumbar. I am not a medical doctor, and your doctor clearly has a lot more training and knowledge of your exact medical situation, but I know even having a fusion at that level, OBGYNs where I live would DEFINATELY do an epidural above this level. I would question my OB exactly why she/he feels like putting you to sleep is better (Because it comes with its own set of risks, much more than the epidural for you and baby) and I'd also run it by my spine surgeon. It is possible for them to send over your most recent x-rays to the anestiologist to view to determine location/etc of epidural. Again, I'm not a medical doctor, but I do speak with experience on this issue. I have had two children, the absolute love of my lives, both arrived via C-Section an both arrived while I was put completely asleep. This was a huge deal with my practice. My actual OBs were not the ones to make the final call, they allowed the anestiologist to make the final call, and in the end because I had such severe scoliosis/ an twisting (not just curved) it was too dangerous to attempt to place the epidural into any of my non fused lumbar (it wasnt all fused before) without x-ray guidance (which is a no no during pregnancy). If you find out for certain you are going to have to be put to sleep, PM me and I'll give you the entire honest run down (I wish someone had done this for me, but I didn't now anyone who was tubed for delivery, it is very different than spine surgery), but I would certainly ask lots of questions first to both my OB and surgeon.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thank you for that. I did not have any back problems until after I had my baby girl. I had the epidural and immediately after my left leg went numb. They said it would take minutes, but it was literally seconds. And that is when I found out I had a herniated disc. No doctor has ever told me it was from that, but I know differently. I see doctors at UCSF in San Francicso now, and I know they are the reason I am walking today. But, thanks for the info. I will indeed let you know what they have to say. I am not pregnant yet, but am TTC.
  • I hope you get a BFP soon! Again, I would certainly have lots more discussions about the need to be put to sleep, but ultimately I'd go with their medical opinion (obviously). Being put to sleep for surgery vs put to sleep for a c-section are vastly different.... and your husband will not be allowed to witness the birth (and you won't eiter...lol) the health of the baby makes it worth it. Hopefully they won't have to go that route.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.