Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 fusion tomorrow, & pain question

I am brand new to this board & am hoping to get a realistic idea of how much pain I will be in after my L5 S1 fusion tommorow. I have a very low pain tolerance & this is what worries me the most. I haven't been taking any pain medication this past month as I've been off of work (I'm a teacher) and able to push through with ice & rest. I know everyone is different, but am curious how anyone else did. Thanks for your time! Prayers are appreciated!

• Welcome i am also having Alifl4l5s1 lumbar surgery tomorrow. You should hop on to March surgery buddies . There is alot of us having surgery this mth or had it . We help each other out with great support.I hear the pain is bad but they keep you comfortable after surgery so dont worry it will work out!!!!We will cheer each other on .Hope i see you on our site Kathy
    Kathy B
  • Can't really answer your question. I have the same issues and just doing some reading right now. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. It helps those of us facing surgery!
  • flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 03/12/2013 - 10:54 AM
    There is a list on here on what to get post surgery . You might want to look at it .There is alot of helpful things. good luck
    Kathy B
  • Hi, I had an L4 / 5 / S1 fusion Feb 16th this year, and had been taking medication prior to surgery too due to continued pain. Post surgery I found the pain to be more than acceptable, in fact to some extent less than prior to surgery for the first 48 hours. However, as I was sent home after 48 hours I'm afraid things did take a turn for the worse, I guess as I was now responsible for my medication and had some difficulty getting it in synch with my needs. It was probably by day 7 that things had settled again, and although I do still get occasions of extreme pain, it seems to be explainable in retrospect to not taking my medications to the letter. I have to say at being just 3 weeks post surgery, I feel remarkably good all things considered, have just started hydrotherapy in the pool this week and have been walking for the last 2 weeks once or twice per day, increasing my distances and today managed 4.3 km even though I had a bad start to the day.

I wish you all the very best for your respective surgeries, what I have come to realise during these last few weeks is that everybody's experiences differ, but what you can rely on is this forum for friendly helpful advice,