Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lucky Quad

LuckyC5LLuckyC5 Posts: 3
edited 03/17/2013 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
I feel blessed. I am a 5'11, 180.lb, 56 year old male in pretty good active shape, weight training and avid skier A week ago today I was bodysurfing in a man made wave pool and hit head first into a 6'5" 250 lb ex marine. Talk about hitting a brick wall. Luckily I can hold my breath for quite awhile. I was able to hold my breath from before catching the wave, riding the wave into mid pool, hitting the marine and realizing i cant move anything while hoping someone will come flip me over. Luckily for me after about 20 seconds the marine saw me floating face down and gently rolled me over while calling a lifeguard.

I showed Priapism which is about the worst thing to show in a spinal cord injury. Unbelievable for me it subsided after 10 minutes and after 15 minutes I could start moving my toes!

The next day I could move both feet and hands but weaker on the left. After cat and MRI scans the NS said I had arthritis on my neck which caused a 40 % closure on my spinal column from c3 c4 and c5. She said she would wait to operate till a week after the accident to operate. When she learned I could not urinate she scheduled my operation to a few hours.

They opened the vertebre and fused my c3c4c5 with a rod and two plates and put me in a hard Aspen neck brace.

The day after the operation I was walking down the halls! My left hand was almost impossible to move and one of the doctors suggested it may not come back. Since then everyday it improves. I can fully open my hand, even give the Spock greeting. I can also roll my fingers into a fist and lift a couple of pounds with my grip. I'm hoping for a near or complete recovery. Feeling extremely blessed.

• Lucky indeed!

As a fellow skier I hope you get to get back on the sticks!
  • Flew home to VT today. The day of my last post was the first day I did not feel totally wiped out after any walking. Last night my son and I walked to dinner at Downtown Disney. I probably walked 3/4 of a mile or longer. Felt a bit tired after but not too bad considering. Left hand improving to where I am touch typing this with both hands.

Not sure about skiing. The NS suggested I quit as a hard fall might be traumatic. I guess I'll have to see what the new NS I find in VT says after a new MRI.

In reality, I'm happy just being here.

All the best to everyone here.
  • Finally got my car home and went over my medical records. Funny how your memory just isn't right with morphine, Percocet, and Vicodin!

It is now a little over 4 weeks since my accident and surgery.
    Only had a C3/C4 ACDF with donor bone and a titanium plate with 4 screws.
    Progress has leveled off but feeling more comfortable every day. Not using neck brace during day but still for sleeping and while a passenger in a car. Have a NS appointment next Tuesday so hopefully he can up my weight limitations. Left hand still showing a deficit, probably around 60 percent. Also notice that when I stretch when standing up my gait gets quit strange, like very stiff, so I assume there is a bit more residual damage than I'd like to admit, but all considering I am extremely lucky. I wish you all the best.