Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Disc Replacement

Hello. Have you had this surgery? I ask because I will be having a surgery on my c6-7. Near the end of 2011, I started having a decrease in strength in my right hand and neck pain down my right arm. I had an MRI in May 2012 that showed a herniated disc in my c6-7 vertabrae. The neurologist I went to requested the MRI. I had a nerve conduction test first, which showed a compressed Ulnar Nerve in my right hand. The neurosurgeon I went to for consultation seems very capable, in fact a coworker of mine sent glowing recommendations. I have the following diagnosis: Cervical Myelopathy from Cord Compression at the C6-7 Level. He is recommending an Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Banked Bone Fusion and Plating. I have tried multiple conservative therapies to no avail. Physical Therapy, Chiropractic Care, Massage, Hot and Cold Compresses, Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Al seem to help for short periods of time (couple of hours to a day or two) but nothing really has helped. My symptoms have been steadily getting worse over the past year and change. I constantly have pain in my neck extending down into my lower back. Most of the time it is bearable but always there. Sometimes it is excruciating. I am right handed and have a hard time doing simple things with my right hand. I am not abidexterous, but am getting there! My right arm has bursts of sharp pain throughout the entire arm. My shoulders hurt. I am off balance and sometimes dizzy. My legs seem heavy and my feet hurt alot throughout the day. This neurosurgeon says that I am a prime candidate for this surgery.

I have done my own research on alternatives to the ACDF. I have found multiple artificial disc replacements. The best one I am leaning towards is the ProDisc C. Has anyone out there had this done? I would like to know more.

• hello, I just had c5 disc replacement on March 5th. although is was single level and a disc replacement. I am happy to make the decision to have it done. after 8 days after surgery I feel great. the pain/numbness in my right are is gone. I realize multiple levels will take longer to heal plus doing fusion, but if its the answer to alleviating the pain....go for it.
  • samksmithssamksmith Posts: 15
    edited 03/14/2013 - 4:23 PM
    Do you know what kind of disc you had put in? Just curious.