Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

depression and coping

Hi everybody I am quite new to these forums. I just want to talk to others on here. I have been feeling unwell on and off for about 3 years now mainly it has been my back which is causing problems and getting bladder infections constantly. Well i had a bladder operation in nov but things are still as bad. Anyway finally my doctor examined me and said my problems were with my thoracic spine and sent me for physio. I am taking garbepentin for the pain and also mitazapine at night because when u are feeling unwell for so long it gets u depressed. What i want to know is does anybody else feel lightheaded and tired and basically not with it half the time and my concentration levels seem to go at times like my head does not belong to me. Can spine problems make u feel like this it is really getting me down and at times i really feel like i am going crazy. Have been to see my doctor numerous times and i am booked in for a blood test on the 4th april to see if there is any underlying infection present. My husband is very supportive but i am just so tired of feeling like this and not being able to do much at all cant work etc. Sorry to go on but it just helps to talk. Thank u everybody for listening.ons

• Welcome! Sounds like you have a difficult 3 years. I think starting with blood tests is a good idea. Have you had blood tests for things other than infection, like an A1C to check blood sugar, hormone levels, iron/nutrient/vitamin levels? If not, I'd suggest asking for those blood tests too. I have not experienced a drop in my concentration related to my spine (except of course when in intense pain). I'm not sure if this is a spine issue or a medicine issue or an entirely different issue. Though I have to point out, even with all we do know about the spine, there are always things medicine doesn't know or can't explain yet. I can't encourage you enough to continue to seek out answers to your health concerns. Good luck.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • tina coylettina coyle Posts: 125
    edited 03/14/2013 - 7:24 PM
    HI sorry too here what you are goin through at the momment, in 2007 at the age of 32 i became unwell one day at work my balance was off i lost the grip in my hand and my legs became weak. I went to see the doctor and he thought i had some infection, over the next two weeks my legs became so weak i could not stand. I was taken to hosiptal were thay done some tests and a MIR scan, that when i was told that C3C4 C4C5 C5C6 needed a fusion i had two surgerys that month. Snice then i have nothing but problems with my spin C6C7 fusion compromise at L4L5 L5S1 Thoratic soliosis . This all had an effect on my mental health goin from a fit and what i thougt i was healthy and working also at the time my little boy was 7 . My family noticed a big change in me , my mood became low i was snapping all the time coping with pain most days felt hopeless it took me along time for me to talk to my doctor but when i did he was very understanding, he put me on a deprssion med , i just take i 20mg tab in the mornning, i been on it for about 2years now and it takes the edge off my day . My problems are still there but thay just dont seem as bad,i still have a bad day from time to time but i am copping much better now. I hope things get better for you and i wish you well welcome to the site.
  • Thank u both for your feedback it certainly does help to hear from others. Well since I posted on here I have been to see my lovely lady doctor again she is an absolute angel. I was having a really bad day crying and so anxious anyway she has put me on a low dose of diazapem 3 times a day and I have got an appt to see her again next Friday. I realise its a vicious circle my pain makes me anxious and then the anxiety makes the pain worse. I said I just want to feel well again and I am so ashamed for "cracking up" she reassured me that I am not and 11 of her patients she had seen that morning were suffering from anxiety and depression. I must add that I have got a wonderfully supportive husband who is my rock bless him. Anyway thank u all for listening I shall keep posting on here
  • Seven weeks after my surgery (C6/C7) I strained my neck and have hit rock bottom with anxiety and depression. My doctor has put me on anti-depressants, and I'm waiting for them to start to work.
    Is this common? Depression and anxiety after neck surgery? It's horrible!!!!!
  • I'm sorry Kathryn that you seem to be having such a tough time too. Sadly I do think lots of spine patients develop depression/anxiety along the way. Pain/surgeries/procedures/long recoveries.... easy to see why. I'm glad you saw a doctor about it. Hopefully your medicines will kick in soon.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I'm having trouble navigating the site. On one forum it says I'm offline.
    When I strained my neck 7 weeks after the operation I didn't seek help. It was just sore, and I called the surgeon who said it was 'unlikely' I had done any damage and to take anti-inflammatory meds and put a heat pack on. Five weeks later my neck is still sore, and all the muscles around it.
    And now I have the anxiety and depression to deal with.
    Does anyone think this could be because of all the nerves the surgeon had to push out of the way in order to do the replacement?? I've never felt like this in my life!!!!!! And I'm getting really desperate.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz
    Problem being logged off. In fact you are not. There is a system problem due to some caching between different machines that provide you Spine-Health (dont worry, you dont need to understand that)

To avoid that, once you are logged in, go to View Recent Posts

In terms of what is currently going on with you. Many times, a little over-doing-it can cause a flare up. Over the years, AI have more of those that I like to remember. Give it a few days to see how you are feeling. If it gets worse, then contact your doctor again. I dont think it has anything to do with the nerves move as you described during surgery.

Over time, you will learn and understand what flare ups are all about. But for now, just be cautious and dont do any more lifting!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for the welcome.
    I do wish my surgeon had given me more instructions on how to take care of myself post-surgery. I've pestered him with about three emails, so I'm finally having a CT scan done of the neck. I need to put my mind at ease that all is in place and healing despite the flare up.
    Does that sound a reasonable thing to do?