Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc replacement recovery

Hi all new to the site and just after some feedback from you all.
I had a disc replacement at L5/S1 6 weeks ago. Ive had very little direction or advice from the consultant after I went back after 3 weeks for a check up.
My back pain seems to be better than before the op but at about 3 weeks I started with numbness, tingling and pain in my left leg and foot, which I never had before. It really worried me but the consultant said it may have been caused by the nerves stretching after the op??
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing and if so how long did it last?
Thanks for any advice in advance
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    I know you will find a wealth of knowledge on this medical site, plus appreciate all the threads on the forum side.

Actually what kind of surgery was done on L5/S1 ?? Different approached have different recovery times
    Six weeks is NOT a long time after surgery. You are still a little child in terms of progression post surgery.

The tingling pain sounds like it is coming from the spinal nerve. Now, if part of your surgery was to remove a piece of
    disc that was impinging on a nerve root, that could explain what you are going through now.

Nerve pain can take a lot longer to recovery than the disc portion. I know that it could take up to a year before the nerve pain goes away and for some its permanent.

However, since none of is here are medical professionals, you need to talk this over with your doctor. Ask them over and over if necessary to explain everything you should be expecting

Patience makes a big difference. Just do what you are suppose to do and NOT do the things you should not be doing
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Cheers for the reply.
    They removed the disc going in through my stomach and replaced it with an artificial disc, I believe the old disc was pressing on the nerve. It just worried me that the new pain/numbness/ pins and neddles didn't start til about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after the op?
  • Had this same surgery 6 weeks ago. Having similar issues to you 6 weeks out. Can you let me know how its going now?
    Jeremy
    -recovering from L5- S1 disc replacement