Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared after disketomy

Hi my name is Mike. I just joined this site and I am scared as shit right now. I'm 32 year old and I was rushed into emergency surgery for a L4L5 discetomy. I hemoridged bad, I lost all feeling from the hips down(more so in right leg) and also bladder and bowel control. So the operation was a success, no misshaps and I had a great team. They caught it and we did the surgery within 18 hours of the lost feeling.

My question and the reason I am scared is I was not prepared for this. My outside of my legs, butt and crotch still do not respond to touch.(I can feel a little, more like numbness now) and if I go pee or poo I have to push HARD on those muscles which I can still control, I can feel my bladder when full but have NO sensation that I have to pee. My surgery was done on march 8th (last Friday) and it has been a week with maybe a tiny bit of change for the good. I'm scared because I have to use a walker and cane to get around and well can't feel my butt or crotch. I don't know how long it will take or what I can do to maybe help increase the nerves to come back alive and start responding properly. I'm scared the feelings might never return.

Does anyone have any tips? Suggestions? Advice or anything for someone stuck in a very much roller coaster ride emotionally and physically? I want to get better fast as get my nerves going.

Please help!

Scared mike in Saskatchewan

• Call your doctor and discuss this lack of feeling. I went through a similar "numbness" and I'm still going through it (but it is sooo much better). Nerves can take a long time to heal. For a few months I couldn't feel part of my thighs, then when the feeling starting to return it was associated with pain, but now I can feel them and they don't have near the pain. Are you taking a nerve medicine like neurotin? I take that one specifically and it has helped tremendously with my nerve issues, it just took awhile to start working. Bottom line is, you are worried and you have every reason to be. What happened to you was severe, rapid, and tramatic. Your doctor needs to know you are struggling with nerve issues and you need to be reassured.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.