Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Broken Screw after L4/L5 Fusion

Anyone out there end up with a broken screw after an L4/L5 fusion? I'm 10 months post-op and started having leg pain and tenderness in my lower back. Found out I had a screw that was broken. I'm just curious as to how many people this has happened to and whether they had the corrective surgery or just left it alone?

• I do not have any broken screws, but I'm curious of what other members have experienced with hardware, so i'm commenting. I hope you get some answers soon, and I hope everything can be quickly fixed so you can continue on your recovery.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Prior to my recent surgery mid Feb, I had undergone a procedure in 1997 to stabilise L4/5/S1 and repair 2 herniated discs. The procedure was an experimental alternative to a fusion, and therefore the hardware, 6 screws and 6 bands, were all that provided the required stability. After experiencing severe back and leg pain in 2010 it was noted that one of my screws had in fact broken in half, and after a number of alternative less intrusive procedures, I finally had to go for fusion. The more complex part of my operation was in fact the removal of the existing hardware, and my surgeon confirmed on opening me up it was clear the hardware had failed and all the bands had snapped / come off in addition to the broken screw, and hence my problems for the last 2 years. He was able to remove 5 screws fully, but could only remove half of the broken screw as the other part was deep inside the vertebrae and would have been difficult to remove. Fortunately they fusion actually required a different, more accurate placement of the screws and hence the broken part could be worked around. I guess this goes to show that removal of hardware is possible, but can come with complications, and where a screw is broken it can be difficult to remove fully.