Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical spine fracture of C1 and C2 and T2 through T4 crushed

I had a motor vehicle accident on 3 December 2012, The accident was caused by a diabetic hypoglycemic episode. I flipped my vehicle over 4 times and hit a tree. Hate to use the term but it was "near fatal". I am blessed to have survived. I spent a few weeks at UNC hospital and received incredible care. On December 5th I woke up with a halo on and kept it on for 100 days. The halo had challenges but I was strong when my accident occured so I did as well as possible. The CT last Thursday showed that I was healed up enough to remove the halo . I had been told I would miss it and I did not believe it. The first night in my cervical collar I wish I had the halo back. I don't like anything tight around my neck at all. I don't like turtleneck sweaters. Does anyone have any helpful ideas about sleeping with this collar in place. I am instructed to wear if for about 5 weeks, 24 hours a day. I know that in order to have the best healing I need to follow those instructions so I will be doing that. My thorasic spine also has T2 through T4 crushed, so my upper shoulders are painful too. The halo kept me more restrained but now that I can move my arms I realize how many mucles I have to build back up. I had some facial fractures as well, so I was unable to eat a normal diet for many weeks and have lost 40 pounds since my accident. I have been out of work for a long period of time and will have to return soon. I would appreciate some advice about getting a good nights rest if anyone wearing a Miami J collar can provide me any guideance. Look forward to hearing about your experiences and what was helpful to ease the neck stresses.

• I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for your situation, but I noticed that no one has replied to your post yet and I wanted to make sure you know that you are welcomed here. :)

You may want to ask about tips for wearing a Miami J collar in the Recovering From Surgery or Back/Neck Surgery forums. Those forums are much more heavily trafficked than this forum.

In the meantime, I pray that you get some good sleep, your muscles respond well to your physical therapy, and you have a smooth transition back to work. Be healed!

God bless you!

• I hope that you have had some more help since you joined the forums. I didn't have a halo, but I did have to wear a collar. Have you thought about sleeping in a recliner? I also bought several different travel pillows (i.e., stuffing filled, pellet filled, foam filled). Those seemed to help too. I also had lots of pain in my shoulders and physical therapy and muscle relaxants helped with that. You can also use a head a shoulder heating pad (search them on the web).

I hope that at least one of these suggestions will help you!
    edited 04/12/2013 - 2:43 AM
    I broke my neck in 2009, wore a Miami collar for 18 weeks, they did not have an adult halo at the time.
    I broke the c1 bone in 5 places, and took off the horns of c2, pain killers sent me loco, was in a brain hospital for 5 weeks due to hallucinations, === BUT, I found that if I laid on my back, with a slim pillow, I could sleep, and not in to much pain.
    Had my neck fused in 2010, constant pain very stiff neck, sore shoulders, But I can drive, put swivel cushion in car, to look left and right, I am and older guy now over 70, but alive,,

I hope this gives some help, or ideas, good luck to you my friend.
  • Hi, that's quite an accident you had there. I haven't had sugery on my C-1 and C-2 I'm hoping to avoid it by doing NUCCA. Since starting NUCCA my doc advised me to sleep in a recliner and that's what I've been doing for the past 5 months. It takes some getting used to. I don't use a collar but I do have a soft stuff animal I used to support my neck at night. I'm sure eventually I'll be back in bed but I gotta tell you thank goodness for my recliner.