Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help,Need Translation!

My neurosurgeon of twenty years has passed away, after 7 spinal surgeries I trusted him and never actually questioned what,when or where. The new surgeon was trying to explain this next surgery and I am totally lost.
"Removal of l4-5 pedicle screw hardware, revision l4-s1 laminectomy foraminotomies and l4-s1 posterior lateral fusion and repair of pseudoarthrosis"
I should have learned the terminology years ago, but as I said my old surgeon was a family friend and I never bothered, now I guess I would like to know some more about what is going on. I have Degenerative disc disease and have had 4 lower back surgeries and 3 neck surgeries. I have a plate in my neck and 2 rods and screw sets in lower back, that's about all I can tell you about previous surgeries. It's just that each surgery seems to hurt more and take longer to heal and I don't know whats worse " the cure or the illness".
Any help explaining this in dummy terms would be appreciated.
Thanks Homer

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/17/2013 - 4:14 PM
    Is your name really Homer? I had an Uncle I loved dearly named Homer, he's the only one I've ever known.

Anyways, sounds like the surgeon is going to remove the hardware in your lumbar and refuse you from L4 to S1... sort of a "repair" of the entire thing. That's my 2 cents. I hope your surgery runs smooth and your recovery isn't nearly as bad as you think. Keep us updated! Also, there are lots of great links and articles about fusions, etc. on this site. You might want to search all of the "scary" words related to your upcoming surgery.

Last, if you are having surgery this month, you should join us here http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/march-surgery-buddies. We'd love to support you through this process.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • dm08262000ddm08262000 Posts: 3
    edited 03/17/2013 - 10:20 PM
    Yes it's really Homer, 5th generation in fact. Thanks for the link, it's like learning another language. I guess I should have been learning this since the first surgery. After seeing your MRI I guess I can consider myself lucky! The surgery will probably be in April, I'll put it off as long as I can, I hate a hospital with a passion!
    Thanks Homer