Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Playing Basketball after not 1 but 2 spinal fusions

I have had my neck fused in early 2000 to a full recovery to the point I was back to dominating people on the court In less than a year and being able to do most of the things I could do before the injury. I have bad a second L4/L5 fusion in 2007 and it took me 4 years to get back and it wasn't until mid 2012 that I could see some resemblance of my self on a basketball court. I am hyper competitive and do everything from bball to golf, bowling but I have eliminated the tennis. Last September my back went out again and I had began to really dominate the basketball games again and I was feeling really good about myself and my back went out again. This time it was a bulging disc over the area that was fused. I have had 3 procedures since October and headed for a fourth this week a set of injections and more. I've fought back twice and one but this one seems to may be the one that takes me out. I will see I know it's possible and I will keep fighting, I'll keep you guys posted.
Roderick Smith

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    and what your doctors said you can and can not do.
    With some spinal surgeries, specific activities will be ruled out completely.

Some examples:

After 4 lumbar surgeries, I asked my doctor if I could play golf. His response was, Sure, as long as you play righty one time and lefty the next

Could I return to Snow skining? Sure as long as you dont fall

Can I play fun basketball, handball,etc? Are you kidding, the impact of doing that will set up to see me for another surgery

These were all true situations I faced over the years and discussions I had with my doctor.

I love sports, still do, my level of playing football in my early days contributed to many of the surgeries and problems I have today. I don't regret it, but I do know you have to weigh out everything when it comes to playing a sport you did before and if you can do it again.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com