Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

April 2013 Surgery Buddies

luverlicslluverlics Posts: 92
edited 01/21/2014 - 4:36 AM in Surgery Buddies
Just thought id set up a place for those who are having surgery in April. Mine is April 24th. ALIF and posterior fusion discectomy. Laminectomy. L4-S1. Good luck to all!!!
injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12

• thank you for starting the april surgery buddies!
    360° fusion here. 1 level. l4/5 on april 15th. had a discectomy last june on l4/5 which failed :(. in constant pain and ready to live my life again. good luck everyone!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • anyone else in april??

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • I hope things work for you this time. This will be my first spine surgery. I have been through therapy, injections, etc going on 3 years now. I am ready to see a light at the end of this tunnel. I am really scared to have this done, but know its will help. What's a 360 degree fusion?
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12
  • thanks for your kind words! i think that it is the same as yours. they go in through the front and then the back. they remove the disc from the front and then put the hardware in through the back.

is that what yours is? how did you injure yourself?

i am surprised that they didn't offer a discectomy first.

you will do just fine, seriously it will be over before you know it!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • I am a nurse, well not working right now. I was helping a nurse aid move a patient from the bed to a bed side potty chair. The patient grabbed the arms of the potty and pulled himself down. My arm was still under his and i was jerked with him. My lower back popped. Not fun. My surgeon said this is my best chance for recovery. He could just do the discectomy, but said results would be better with the fusion too. Yes my procedure sounds like what you described. removing the disc from the fron and doing a interbody fusion then flipping me over and doing the posterior fusion. I'm sure it will go fine. Pre-surgery jitters.
    Thanks for your encouragement,
  • just bumping up the thread!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • luverlicslluverlics Posts: 92
    edited 03/22/2013 - 5:27 AM
    I'm sure we will see more closer to the end of the month.
  • Mine is April 3rd and I am as scared as heck. I am having c3-c4-c4-c5-c5-c6. Unfortunately I am also claustrophibic so they medicated me for my MRI and I do not recall anything the surgeon told me at my follow up. I have spent all my time on the internet trying to get information. I have cervical spinal stenosis and some other thing I cant remember.....something to do with the narrowing of the canal. My livelihood depends on my voice so that concerns me greatly. I am glad I found this site so I can share with others and ask questions. My surgeon has 42 years experiance and he did say that MRI's and Mylegrams are great but they never know exactly what they are going to find until they get in there.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    bump up this or any other thread.

When the time is right, other members will post. - Its as simple as that.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 03/22/2013 - 9:11 PM
    Ghostd00d: hi

There was a member a few months ago that had cervical fusion and was dependant on her voice for her likelihood.

Suggest you use the search function at the top of the page, using < voice cervical > or < Francine > and you should find FrancineSF's story. Her voice took awhile to come back, but it turned out good for her.
  • best of luck on your upcoming surgery. maybe you could call your doctor's office to get a copy of your mri report? i will be thinking of you. let us know how it goes!
    ps. just bumped the thread so no one would miss it :)

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • ghostd00dghostd00d Posts: 4
    edited 03/23/2013 - 4:25 AM
    Thanks for the post. I actually did read Francine's story. I will admit her recovery period scared me a bit as I was told 6-8 weeks to get back to work. My doctor also stated 2 days in the hospital including the surgery day so I am kind of worried at the moment. I have had this condition for about 10 years and at this point I am in pain 24/7 and both arms are totally numb and tingling as if they are asleep so I guess it is time to get it fixed. I also live in the Bay Area as Francine does. Just a bit out in the Valley near Stockton. I am just glad I found this site. Calms my nerves just talking about it.
  • having surgery is a scary thing. Surgery on the spine makes it even scarrier. Its nice to have a place to talk about this stuff and feel like someone gets you. I wish you the best of luck on april 3. What surgery are you having?
  • I am having cervical fusion on C3-C4 C4-C5 and C5-C6. Doctor told me it would be a 4-6 week recovery time but some of the stories I am reading is making me nervous
  • Ghostd00d: it's great to hear that you are doing your research.

From my experience and from what I have observed here, the folks that are better prepared and more knowledgable, seem to recover better and are less likely to let issues escalate unnecessarily before getting them addressed adequately.

The articles, FAQ's and shared forum experiences here make it possible to be in control of the risks.

Nonetheless, pre-surgery nervousness is normal, but good preparation helps immensely.

Good luck to you.

• we all know those pre-surgery nerves! if you ever want to chat we are here!!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • my mom had cervical vertebre fused. i cant remember what levels. i know they did 2. she was off work for 12 weeks I think. had to wear a cervical collar for a while. Another friend had cervical fusion 1 level and was only off work 4 weeks. Age plays big role in recovery. You will do great. this is a good place to vent about your concerns
  • I'm a 38 year old man and finally decided to have surgery which will be a 2 level spine fusion after avoiding it for nearly 12 years. My original diagnoses was a grade 2-3 spondylolisthesis of L5 over S1 way back in 2000 while I was in the US Army. It is now a grade 4 slippage and about 80%+ slippage over S1 and since the slippage is so far and L5 is deformed as well, the surgery is considered a "custom" anterior along with posterior. My doctor is going to go thru the front and put a cage in along with a screw connecting L5-S1 without moving L5 back at all. All the above vertebra are normal and he thinks it is best to stabilize in place rather than moving anything back. This is not common but he feels it is nessessary in order to stabilize the fusion even further along with the common posterior approach. Then posterior screws and rods connecting L4-L5-S1 with some freeing up of the compressed nerves which has creating a mild stenosis. I can manage on pain pills but no longer want to do that and have been doing that along with every type of injection, PT, etc... I can't really live free of pain and movement without either pain pills and injections or this surgery. But, my doctor is being optimistic and says that after I recover to "live my life" how I see fit! I'm in great shape, 140lbs, lean, and all that but is it realistic to think that I can return to refereeing soccer at a high level (State level and higher) and playing soccer at almost the same level? Is anyone similiar in age and physical condition that can offer some realistic insight? I'm terrified of the surgery but more terrified of not living my life to the fullest, but still unsure of what "living to the fullest" will mean post surgery and recovery. I've always known that surgery was inevitable but I always thought it would be later in life, not at 38 while I'm in such great physical shape. I don't want to be disappointed and worse off after surgery and unable to referee or play soccer after going thru this intense risky surgery. But, I don't want to cease living in any capacity and so limited which I am now. Amazingly, up until 6 months ago I was still refereeing with Tylenol and an occasional pain pill but I started to feel worse the day after so had a new MRI and it showed the additional slippage. I'm sort of kicking myself but it is what it is and I always told myself that I am only young once so I must enjoy what I can, so I did! I've said yes to the procedure but I am getting more and more stressed and nervous as the dates is slowly but surely about to arrive! Can't sleep, second guessing, nervous, all that! I've also heard and read about adjacent vertebra such as L3 becoming compromised once two levels are fused but in my case it is necessary due to the degree of slippage. So that is just an acceptable risk I guess. Does anyone else plan on trying to or been told that they will be able to return to being physically active with sports after spine fusion surgery that can also offer me some realistic insight?
  • I was told the only activity for the first 4 to 6 weeks is walking. Then it's a gradual increase in activity. physical therapy, water therapy No lifting for anywhere between 6 an 12 weeks.
  • I have appt 5 April with a neurosurgeon and am hoping to have surgery scheduled shortly after that. I won't know for certain the type or the date of surgery until after I meet with NS.
    ACDF on 24 April 2013.
  • goodluck alice! let us know how the apt goes.

did my pre-ops today: ekg, bloodwork, nose swab (mrsa test), and urine sample. phew!

before my first surgery (discectomy/lami), i only had to get bloodwork...probably bc it was an outpatient procedure.
    anyone else have their pre-ops yet? it is starting to feel real...eek.

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • Hi everyone,
    I'm having L5/S1 PLIF on April 1st. Not only is this my first spine surgery,this is my first surgery ever. Something that comforts me a little is that I've worked in the hospital I'm having surgery at for 13 years. But as its getting closer I'm getting more nervous. Today I go for my pre-op blood work. I've been out of work for a month because of pain and numbness. This past weekend my primary changed my pain medication because 120mg of oxycodone in a 24-hour period wasn't helping much. I was switched to morphine sulfate ER 60 mg every 12 hours and morphine sulfate IR 15mg as needed. It's still about the same level of pain. I had a phone call with the pre-op nurse on Monday and asked what happens during the inpatient stay and she said mostly pain management and physical therapy.

I've read a lot of great info on this site and a lot from the forum members so I'll keep everyone posted with my progress. Just really worried about anesthesia because I've never had that as well as post-op pain. Pain is very subjective, but what should I expect? And I'll ask my neurosurgeon about it, but I didn't know how long patients are usually on pain meds after surgery.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
    Tim Lewis
    Philadelphia, PA
  • good luck on Monday tlewis. I have my pre op physical tuesday and, appointment with vascular surgeon on the 11th and pre op with spine doc and pre admission testing both on the 12th. I'm less than a month away and getting nervous!!!!
  • best of luck tlewis, i am sure you will be fine and wonder why you waited so long! will be thinking of you. please let us know how it goes.

luverlics, goodluck w your apts! i have a million apts too, pre op physical tomorrow for me.

let us know what the docs say :-)

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • My posterior fusion is April 12th. This will be my 2nd fusion as I had a 2 level, ALIF in 2007 on L3-L4-L4-L5. I am having L5-S1 done now. I am petrified. Right now I have severe pain with it radiating down my leg. My 1st fusion, done through the stomach was rough. I dont want to go into specifics because I dont want to scare anyone with the complications that happened to me since I believe it was just my body not resonding well to what it was put through. The fusion itself was nothing short of perfect and I had a good 5 years until this level blew. I am so scared and at times I feel like I cant breathe when I think about this surgery. I know I cant live like I am...on painkillers, in bed mostly, usingnheat/ice, tens unit, etc. I want my life back. Just scared to do what I have to do to get it. :(
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • thinking of you and hope your surgery goes well. good news is that you had success before, so i am sure you will again. keep us posted!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • Well tomorrow's April first.....let the countdown begin. Happy Easter to all!!!!
  • aliceinwunderland said:
    I have appt 5 April with a neurosurgeon and am hoping to have surgery scheduled shortly after that. I won't know for certain the type or the date of surgery until after I meet with NS.
    I am in the same boat, I meet with neurosurgeon on April 8th and am hoping surgery will closely follow. I am thinking it will either be an anterior or posterior cervical discectomy and fusion. (I'd prefer anterior, but since it's c7-t1 I have read that sometimes surgeons want to get at that from a posterior approach because of the collar bone getting in the way).
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.
  • Hi,

My surgery is scheduled for the 23rd of April. It is for a one level fusion at c5 c6 or an adr. My neuro says he won't know what operation he can perform until he gets in there which bothers me. I am 33 and have never had any physical issues thus far so I was hoping for an adr. I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on this. I was in excruciating pain for about 3.5 months and over the last month month the pain has been subsiding a bit. My thumb was numb and now that is going away. I do have uncomfortable pains almost all the time but I'm not in agony anymore. I am scared of the surgery even though I have one of the best surgeons in the nation to do it. The weird thing is that I have electrical twinging pains in my legs more the one on the right side which is the side my arm is effected. I haven't had a lumbar mri because I have zero back pain, just my neck. Is there a certain time period to wait for surgery? My doc said if he were me he would do it. My wife is having our first child in August and I want to be able to take care of the baby. So I pretty much need to get the surgery now if I am going to. Any advice? I wish everyone the best of luck on their surgery as I know this pain is ridiculous.

• Hello everyone! Hoping for the best here. Been in hatefully excruciating pain for just short of one year - left thigh, hip, and butt pain...sometimes burning...jabbing...numb...throbbing...kind of whatever it feels like. Tlewis good luck tomorrow. Prayers that the surgeon is at his/her best. Keep us posted as you are able!

"My Blood Type is Be Positive"

This discussion has been closed.