Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My "head is falling off"

dangbackddangback Posts: 30
edited 03/18/2013 - 3:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
That is the only way I can describe what i feel. I find myself manually holding my head/neck in place by resting my chin in the palm of my hand. It literally feels like my neck is NOT supporting my head.

Honestly, I've had this issue off and on for a couple of years now. But one day, a few months ago I woke up with terrible neck pain, right where you feel the first bulge in your spine. Since then, I've not been able to get my neck to stabilize. The pain has gotten worse, I have to lay down all the time in order to keep the pain level down and the feeling that my "head is falling off" under control.

I have to keep my neck perfectly straight. When I lay down I can't have a pillow or anything under my neck.

Both of my shoulders hurt badly if I try to lay on my stomach. I'm assuming this is because of the position I'm forced to put my arms in when laying on my tummy.

Lately, I've been having this weird feeling in my chest, not to the left or right, but smack dab in the middle below the throat and above the breast. It's like a breathing problem.

I have positional vomiting when I'm sleeping. If I roll to the right while sleeping I wake up vomiting.

But the worst part of all is that I wake up with a headache from H@ll!

This isn't your ordinary headache. This is one that when it happens, you really think the only way out of this nightmare is death and even consider just letting go. Of course, you learn to find ways to help relieve the pain and pressure, but I must say, It really takes everything I can muster to get though this headache pain.

My right arm is having issues holding onto things. It's weak and my elbow hurts if I try to pick something up and move my arm at the same time.

My left arm is weak and can barely hold onto anything for more than a few seconds.

Before all of this neck pain started, I'd only experienced lumbar issues.

SO, I'm at a loss trying to figure out of all these issues are coming from the outrageous neck issues my MRI is showing.

I'm curious to hear from other cervical suffers and your experiences along the way. I do have an appt with my Neuro on the 28th and I'm sure he will give me a ton of answers, as has really been good to me over the years.

But while I'm laying here in my own agony, I'd like to find out what others in my situation have to to ease the pain. And has anyone ever felt like their "HEAD IS FALLING OFF? I know that sounds really funny, but I couldn't be more serious if I tried.

Thank for reading,

1992 L5/S1 Laminectomy
2001 L5/S1 Second Laminectomy
2008 L5/S1 Fusion.

Current Condition:
C5-C6 disc herniation
C6-C7disc bulge
C2-C6 Spinal Stenosis and Foramina Stenosis, facet joint degeneration and osteophyte

• Hi there, LD:

I didn't have symptoms nearly as severe as yours, but I don't think I would have waited to resolve them if I was in as much discomfort as you - and especially if I was puking or getting massive headaches! Yikes. That just sounds miserable.

With my cervical issues -which were ultimately C3/4 and C4/5 that were fused - I often did feel that my head was really heavy and that my neck could not support it. I would also rest my head on my hands or recline in my recliner to alleviate some of the weight.

After first having an epidural done to see if that alleviated the tingling in my fingers (which it didn't) -after 3 years and my desire to make sure that things did not get irrpairably worse, I finally had the ACDF done this past October. I always told myself, however, that if it got any worse, even in a minor manner, I would immediately drop everything and get the surgery my orthopedic/sports medicine surgeon recommended done. It was VERY sucessful by all counts.

Even today, a friend told me that I don't have that rigid or tentative movement that she sometimes sees with people who have had neck surgery do.

So, while I cannot help much more than to say get to your neuro on the 28th and take what s/he has to say seriously. It sounds like yours is getting worse.

Take notes and/or take a friend or family member with you if you think you might get overwhelmed. Once your doctor gives you more info about your MRI results, I look forward to hearing what the recommendations are.

I am glad you are taking the steps to find out what is going on! Only then will you know what your options are to getting it resolved.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion