Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Operation or watch and wait?

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed as having an intradural tumour at C2. My symptoms were stiffness in the neck (which I put down largely to posture and working at a computer for most of the day) and constant (but manageable) pain in the right side of my head.
Since being diagnosed I have been trying to get as much info as possible but Im not sure looking at everything on the net is a good idea, I fear I may be becoming obsessed but still with no clear view of the way forward.
My NS has given me the option of having the operation or watching and waiting with regular MRI's. It is with this that I feel I need advise. I am 53, work full time and am very active. Part of me thinks I need to get the tumour out as as soon as possible but having read around peoples experiences I wonder whether I should delay it for as long as possible (despite feeling that I have a time bomb in my body)
Can I ask has anybody had the operation with a good outcome, in that they have practically been able to continue life as they did prior to the operation.
Is anyone waiting and watching and if so how do they cope with the constant worry.
I am torn between not having the operation and remaining as I am, active and well for the most of the time, but then I worry that the longer I leave it the bigger it will get, hence the riskier the operation? I really don't know which way to jump and would welcome any advice. I am so pleased to have found this board. Nothing compares to hearing from people who are in similar situations or a few states further down the line. I am trying to keep a positive spin on things but as I'm sure you all will know it is not always easy.

Thanks, Vonny


  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 03/20/2013 - 11:51 PM
    is the cord I'n any danger? Are nerves or nerve roots being compressed.

  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

    - Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

    - The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

    - Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

    - As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

    - It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

    - As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

    If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    give a straight answer, I want to clarify something. (if I am reading something wrong, please tell me)

    You mention a tumor, nothing you said is about a disc problem. As far as I have known, a tumor there, normally referred to as a neoplasms, can be very serious,

    Spinal-Disc problems are not life threatening. However, depending where you are with your neoplasm, that could be more serious.

    As far as having the surgery.... reading about neoplasms, I dont think there are other options. As far as having surgery to correct spinal/disc problems in the cervical area, the success rate is very high.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
Sign In or Register to comment.