Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 02/14/2014 - 9:56 AM in Chronic Pain

About the same time, the first person had spinal surgery

1. A wild animal that roams anywhere looking for prey. It will hunt and seek its target at any time. It does not stop until
it reaches its victim and does with it what it wants to.

2 - An ugly person

3 - An unseen demon that watches over all spinal patients. It is seeking the weaker ones or those that think they are done with pain.

I think for all of us, definition #3 is the one.

The beast is something we cannot touch or feel, its real, yet unreal. its smart and knows how to make the most of any situation. In easier words, the beast is something that lurks over all of us. Once we have been taken down by some spinal problem that eventually makes us a chronic pain patient, the beast has been assigned.

At first I thought there was only one beast, but after all these years, I realized that there is the Master Beast and he/she assigns all the other beasts.

What does the beast do?
The beast watches everyone who is dealing with some sort of spinal problem. The beast will swoop down and take control when ever it wants to. You never wanted him/her to be there, you never asked for them to be there, and you dont want him at all!

The beast never discriminates regarding age, sex, religion, creed, color or whatever.. It doesn't care. The only thing that the beast wants to do is cause pain and misery.

When you are feeling good, the beast is hardly around. Its too busy looking for someone else to play havoc with. But the moment it senses that you a little weak or having a flare up or new problem, it terror begins.

It may keep you up at night, it might interfere with your walking, it may destroy your concentration, who knows? Its different with everyone!.

What to do

I hate the beast, I've hated it for a long time. I've tried to come up with BeastBuster, but nothing has worked yet. Even when I am hurting a little bit, I try to keep it all inside...But the beast knows.

I wish I had an answer to how to stop this beast.....

I dont have an answer, but I hope you do !!.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    No one has the answer
  • Preys on the ones who think they're done with pain. My original injury was June 2009, and I did my PT and injections and after two years my back calmed down. Then in November 2013 I'm a passenger in a car that was hit from behind by someone driving 45 miles an hour.

Back to PT and injections and questioning surgery. ARGH! I thought I was done!

You got it totally right.
    (see profile for medical details)

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • anelsen15anelsen15 Posts: 119
    edited 02/14/2014 - 2:18 PM
    I worked thru school in just pain with no neuro issues and knew shoot if I can study this much I can go back to work when grad and I was feeling so ok after an injection I played w godchildren and had my neck injured which lead to muliple neuro issues pain much worse than in school and made trying to work am easy job that prior to second injury would be easy, very very hard. This stuff is cumulative, u lose some of yourself each time . I still hate the spiney life 10 years later. The beast just waits to crush hope and dreams
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • You have said many times Ron " never give up " those are words I never forgot, the Beast is a great analogy SH helps our fight.

• Make the beast your friend
    Pain is proof of life
    You, we are stronger than the beast.
    You feel cold, you feel hot, you feel hungry, you feel pain.
    As red skelton said, any day above the dirt.
    Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    loves to disguise itself, it loves to fool people.
    Always been aware of what the Beast is capable of and be prepared to defend yourself against it.
  • josbornejjosborne Posts: 86
    edited 04/16/2014 - 3:27 PM
    I think the beast is trying to take over my life and I'm not too sure how to stop it :(
    (12.24.13) L2-L3 Laminectomy, Discectomy and Coflex insertion. DX'ed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on 5/13/14
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 04/16/2014 - 3:56 PM
    I take some courage from the beast masters I've found here!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tommorrow."  ~ Mary Anne Radnacher
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.