Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interesting happening today - Times they are a changin !!

MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,617
Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last

SO heres the short story .... Giggles as I try to fall asleep!

Today I went with a fellow SH member to an orthosurgeon who did my rather complicated revision surgery.

5 years ago he wouldn't do a disability form for me and stated that a FCE needed to be done by a physical therapist.
Today he did our fellow members forms without a squeak!!

5 years ago he did a anterior and posterior 3 level acdf - 2 posterior rods - two removed vertabrea (corpectomies)cage full of hip bone and a revised anterior plate - Hip bone harvest. 12 screws. 3 days ICU inpatient 8 days.

Today he said the he would not lock her posterior down and only look to repair the one level of non-union.

The funny part is 5 years ago he did EVERYTHING on me that he said he would not do to help her.

Interesting to watch a physician "mature" and change the level of aggressiveness they apply.

As I listened to his responses to her - I giggled inside - which cause my neck to spasm.

I hope our gal pal member jumps into this thread and tells her impressions of the visit!

Warm regards,

d
Spine-Health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
My Story  - Click below
http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
advertisement

Comments

• susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    edited 03/21/2013 - 3:40 AM
    Yes, I saw the Dr. M also as last June he was prepared to Jump right in and do an Acdf of non-union at c6& c7. and remove hardware at c4,c5 & c5,c6. Also remove a Bone Spur at c7. Wow, then the Dr. says for Now follow Up with your Pain Management Dr. come back and see Me, when you cannot tolerate the pain anymore. It was a very interesting Dr. Visit, as I had imagined a totally different outcome. I am very Pleased he took the time to fill out the paperwork per my disability lawyer's request, and scanned all the information and Even faxed it back to the disability lawyer's office.

There was a No going over my Current MRI of 2/13/13. Just follow up with your pain dr. for now. Also his Concern of Driving the Car on Narcotic's which is a Major concern of mine, because Look Peep's we are Breaking the Law. No it is Not Ok to drive on this medication, but sometimes when we cannot afford a cab ride, this is are only Option. I must confess while driving I keep saying to myself "Keep Focused" over and over again. I do say a prayer when i get home that I made it safely with out hurting anyone or hurting myself. I had taken on a pt jon in june of 11 to november 11 and Yes, I tapped someone in front of me who Stopped in the middle of an intersection, and then took off not wanting anything to do with the issue. This is seroius stuff fellow Spiney's Please Please Please if at all try to get a ride to places. I know when ever possible I do ask a family or friend for a ride, because it is NOT safe to Operate Machinery on Narcotic's.

The ortho did take a look at Metal Neck's Scars, and he is a very Compassionate dr. But He makes NO Promises's. There is No Crystal Ball, he does NOT have all the answer's.

Thank you Metal Neck for being my advocate today, I liked the part where the dr. asked why I was not at the dr. who did this fusion on my neck, and Dave responded Look if you took your car to a mechanic and he did not fix it right the first time would YOU go back to them??? Of course NOT!!!! He just gave Dave a smile knowing where he was going with this, and I explained my origional surgeon had a Plan and that was to Fuse my Neck from the back at Every level, which would leave me with a very long painful healing period, if ever being able to move my neck at all. No that is NOT where I wish to go back.

So this is my explanation of our Visit today, Yes Things are A Changing for sure, and I hope everyone out there Has such a Great Advocate as I have been Blessed with, Thank you Dave for Being with me today, as I was totally teffified of this appointment had been having Major Anxiety Attacks Prior to the Visit. ( White Coat Syndrome ).

Best Always,

Susabelll
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 03/20/2013 - 10:44 PM
    I am glad to hear you had a friend with you who has spine experience and also knows what to ask and direct the limited time we have the surgeons attention. I also feel as a surgeon gets more experience they are less likely to cut or make a small'surgery into a large one.

Dave thanks for helping Susabell I wish I had a spine person with me vs my Mon or sis that get worried about anything said and understands our meds and treatment.

Rick

• I agree that it must be so helpful to have a fellow spiney attend your appointment with you.
    They know what are the questions that need asking and will be able to tell you what was said by the surgeon afterwards, when you can't remember, because they understand what he is talking about - well more or less anyway!

I read something once that I thought was so true;

A spinal surgeon knows how to do surgery on the spine.
    A good spinal surgeon knows when to do surgery on the spine.
    An excellent spinal surgeon knows when not to do surgery on the spine.

I guess that is why, with experience, surgeons tend to opt for other treatments if at all possible.

• susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    That Jellyhall, as it make sence, Look I am in a lot of pain daily and it is very tiring. Lately I have had a lot of "No sleeping" issues, today I had my pain meds on my night stand and took them, I was up at 5:00am with internet, cable issues. Not Good! This spine pain is brutal at times both physically, and emotionally, and when you have little support it's twice as hard!!! We find ourselves not wanting to bother other's because they have their own issues. However I can always log into SH and find my friend's who really get this.

That was a Great Read you found Jellyhall, thank you for sharing!!!

Rick I hope you are feeling better, I switch between Ice and Heat. If I am experiencing inflamation bring on the Ice, if I am achey bring on the moist heat!! What ever it takes to provvide some relief, as the meds can only do so much. I have to talk with my PM on Monday because I have been waking up in really bad pain, and I do believe it is caused by the Opana ER 10mg, I never experienced this type of pain on the Norco 10/325 but I was taking a lot of Norco, now on Opana ER 10mg I am not taking 5-6 Norco a day, on a good day I take only 1 norco. But I dread the pain upon waking becuase is is intense!!!

Regards to All Here,
    susabell
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
advertisement