Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody know of CVS new Policy on not more than #90 Oxycodone

TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
edited 11/03/2014 - 2:17 PM in Pain Medications
I was just in formed that CVS has a new policy they cannot fill a prescription for more than #90 (mine is 10mg) oxycodone or percocet. That this 'policy has been in effect for a few months but just now enforcing it. So 45 days ago I filled a Rx written for #180 tabs a 45 day supply. Today they would not fill 150 tabs, 1 month supply. Which is not to exceed 5 per day. Last month it was 4 per day. They said "the dea is enforcing now"?????? I live in Florida. Has anyone heard of this new policy???

• more and more doctors are adhering to specific prescribing guidelines as to how much medication they can prescribe for a specific time period. My doctor told me that #90 oxycodone for 30 days was the max. In some cases, the maximum allowable is derived from insurance companies.

That being said, the maximum may be blamed on the DEA when really it is insurance companies that are driving the train.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I can only have #90 filled on my Hydrocodone 5/325 at a time but I can fill every 2 weeks. The pharmacy has nothing to do with it but my insurance is as EMS Guy said driving the train. So each month instead of paying one co-pay I have to pay 2 co-pays. You also need to make sure that Rx is written for only amount they will fill because if doctor writes Rx for #180 and your insurance will only cover # 90 at a time you will lose the other #90 as they will not hold rest of prescription to fill later. There are so many new rules regarding narcotics that it is hard to keep up with. I work in a doctors office and know that alot of times we will be informed by pharmacy when there is a change in how a patient's insurance will pay for their meds. The insurance companies will constantly blame on doctors and pharmacies . Very frustrating for me as a pain patient as well as working in medical field.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    problems filling Oxycodone 5mg with a 120 count at CVS in CT
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 03/21/2013 - 5:50 AM
    As others have said, this is most likely an issue with the insurance company. My insurance company limits chronic pain patients such as myself to #180 oxycodone per month. My prescription is for a #240. I talked to my insurance company (CIGNA) and explained the situation. I was granted a waiver after my doctor filled out some paperwork to justify my condition. Originally, this waiver was for a period of 6 months, which has been extended to a 2 year period after my last renewal.

Talk to your insurance company, they should have procedures in place to accommodate the exception to the rule.

• CVS. Insurance covered 180 tabs 6 weeks ago WHEN It was filled at the same CVS by a different pharmacist, the head pharmacist actually, filled the #180. The pharmacist yesterday said it's "CVS POLICY as of 2-3 months ago" She apparently can opt to follow this or not. The manner in which she handled my questions was so disrespectful. I spoke to the CVS I had been using for 2 years by where I used to work. No formal policy, the individual pharmacist at any store can opt to dispense no more than 90 or fill whats written. Had the head Pharmacist been working yesterday he could have filled the full amount as he did the last couple of months. Anyway, she had me in tears. Very disrespectful. Today when I went to pick up the Rx's I told her that. Told her I felt humiliated and If it was blood pressure medication I was getting I would have felt different. My Dr.'s office called at 7pm last night, they were not happy. Dr's PA did inform me that The DEA is targeting some pharmacy chains and going in and ripping the pharmacist license off the wall. I feel for them. Its very bad in Florida. Im a 56 year old female with a lot of spinal pain. The pharmacist was a young women who really dealt with me as a threat of some sort. I dont want empathy from her. Just a tad of respect as Im a human.
  • 1ofmanyinpain11ofmanyinpain Posts: 60
    edited 07/26/2013 - 7:25 PM
    I have scripts for 120 10 mg. Oxycodone, and 120 15 mg. Roxicodone. I think the Dr. did that so I would NOT have trouble filling them for any reason... Now, both scripts are signed by the same Dr. on the same DAY with no problems whatsoever....I don't use CVS but I can imagine the problems...
  • When I was looking for a new pharmacy closer to home than to work after I lost my job, I went into walgreens. After almost an hour at the computer the Pharmacist said "Walgreens has a ??????? Policy and could not fill my Rx's" I take or took Robaxin a muscle relaxer with the pain medication. He told me too much stuff. It's very frustrating. I can it coming soon in South Florida I wont be able to get it filled. That is scary. The ma and pa stores wont carry it and grocers, I havent tried but I dont think so. Like they force you to "hop around" Im just so frustrated. Im due to schedule surgery for the SCS, like next week. I dont want to be stuck after surgery with my regular pain and surgery pain. AND have to drive all over town 16 days post opt looking for medication as will only fill every 18 days. Thank you for letting me vent.
  • I have not had a problem filling 120 5/325 hydrocodone at Walgreens in Michigan. I have been getting my hydro filled at the same Walgreens for a couple years now.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Donnabe, Hydrocodone is only a schedule III drug (for now that is), most of the other ones are schedule II. I am prescribed 90 10/325 Percocet in Ohio and never had any problems other than once, they had to give me brand because they were out of the generic. I actually prefer the grocery store pharmacies. For some reason, they just seem a lot nicer. Maybe because I also show up with a cart full of groceries. 8-)
  • Paininohio- very true. I hope they don't change hydrocodone to schedule II. I heard it is a possibility.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • AmandalaAAmandala Posts: 5
    edited 04/04/2013 - 8:19 AM
    Here's a partial reply. I'll add more shortly! (I'm off to class)
    I'm also in Florida and have had trouble getting my prescription filled. I take 30mgs, 120 a month. There are a couple of issues here; however, the DEA has nothing to do with it.
    CVS is under a lot of scrutiny because of the actions of several CVS pharmacies. In addition, the DEA revoked their distributors license. Last year alone CVS filled an obscene amount of oxycodone prescriptions-an amount greater than if every man, woman, and child had their own prescription. Also, distributers are only sending a limited supply to pharmacies. According to my doctor, a lot of pharmacies are "saving" their supply for existing customers. In addition, numerous pharmacies are opting not to even carry oxycodone because of the risk of theft, liability, etc.
    I've since changed to an independent pharmacy and have no problems.
    Will get back to you with more info soon!
  • Pharmacy? I thought these smaller ma &pa places do NOT carry them for fear of robberies. So yesterday I went to get the balance of my month supply filed at the same CVS that only gave me the 18 days per new policy (for that pharmacist). The Dr gave me an RX for #60 10/325 not to exceed 5 a day. That CVS did not have them in stock. The same pharmacist who invented the #90 policy would not tell me if they were back logged. Said they get a shipment everyday but would not say when the best time of day would be to go in and check as you cant call. I think she thought I would get a bunch of seniors r to ambush the truck??? From there I did something I've never had to do. I went to 6 MORE pharmacies. Two CVS's and they were out of stock, BUT VERY NICE. Told me when delivery's were expected and when to come in. One Publix that said they were due Monday and I could call!!!! Two Walmarts that also said when they get delivery and try and call first. They dont like you to call. I ended up at Target at 4:30, they had it but had to call the Dr. this morning. Physically, I could not do that again today or tomorrow. In and out of the car, up and down the stores, wow! Thankfully, I have a few days extra but to do this again in 12 days????? Because some of the pharmacists are being targeted, the patients are criminals??? I want to schedule this surgery. I cant imaging doing this post op. AND, I spoke with Blue Cross yesterday. Im under their limits.
  • I guess it all comes down to where you live, I have spent all my time with my surgeries and back issues in Alaska and South Dakota and never once had a problem with any pharmacy. This includes Target and Walmart. My current doctors office is in a complex at the hospital and I fill all my prescriptions there without a problem.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• a hospital or cancer treatment. It has a lot to do with Florida, but this is turning into a witch hunt on so many levels. They got most of the bad doctors or bad pain clinics since the laws changed a few years ago. Now they go after the pharmacists, drug stores...then who the patients? If I was working right now....that would have been two days off looking and I wont be able to move tomorrow, Just that 1 pharmacist really passed judgement. Hard to explain how that feels, discriminated?
  • Diggs31DDiggs31 Posts: 4
    edited 04/05/2013 - 3:23 PM
    I don't know about CVS specifically but I do know that Walgreen's has started a new policy in which they must call and verify a diagnosis with your doctor before they will sell any controlled substance. I tried to get a Lortab prescription filled at Walgreen's the other day immediately after receiving it from my doctor. I got a text from them saying that my prescription was ready but when I went to pick it up they said that they were waiting to hear back from my doctor with a diagnosis. I knew that my doctor was out of the office that afternoon since they had to call me in for an earlier appointment so I asked for my original prescription back. They gave it to me and I took it to a small Homeland pharmacy and I was able to get it filled without any problems at all. The pharmacist there said that Walgreen's was trying this new policy out for the government and that it may be like that everywhere at some point soon.

As far as feeling judged by the pharmacy staff, I definitely understand and don't appreciate it one bit. I recently switched pharmacies because the staff seemed judgmental. I thought it was due to my age in part (I'm 31) but after reading some posts by people who are older I guess it happens regardless of age. When I get other prescriptions for asthma or depression they are friendly and courteous but even asking a question about a pain medication changes their attitude completely. I'm not trying to scam anyone or sell my prescriptions or get high off of them, I just want to be in less pain than I currently am.
  • I'm in AZ, and have never had an issue filling 270 Oxycodone 15mg every 28 days... I have worked for said company before, so I have pharmacist friends that still work there. I asked them about it, and not one of them had ever heard of this 'policy'. And I asked 6 of them! One did say that the District she worked in was thinking of implementing something similar, but the Regional Manager said no because it would be an inconvenience to the customer. So I guess it's possible your area has that rule, but not the whole company. As has always been the case, the pharmacist can refuse to fill ANY script, not just controls. They basically can do whatever they deem necessary, so that they feel comfortable filling it. Some are FAR more anal, some don't care, and then there are those who believe that the pharmacy license they hold gives them God-like powers. Those tend to be like that on and off the clock!! So I think you just got a jerk of a pharmacist. But they still could be honest- I'd rather they tell me they aren't comfortable doing it, rather than make up something that 'sounds good'.
  • Thank you. Your effort and response has been very helpful. I knew there would be a way to explain somehow. She just did a CVS version of "I plead the 5th" So tomorrow I start all over with a 1 months supply. I dread this. Thanks for all your input
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 04/26/2013 - 2:14 PM
    I get my pain meds from a pharmacy in my PMs building. Just because when there is a issue they are close and take care of it.
    My regular meds I get at a CVS close to home. Yesterday I noticed a new NOTICE of PROBATION posted in the CVS pharmacy.
    Hard to read because its on the back wall but it looks like its a two year probation and almost up on the time frame now.
    This notice has not been there for very long but its almost two years old. Of course nobody would say why so I looked it up online. Very interesting information on the states pharmacy Lic site.

It looks like a pharmacist takes out a license for the pharmacy and in a way they own it and are both responsible and liable for it and all the employees that work in it. My store had a employee stealing norcos a little more then 42,000 pills in about 7 months.
    The pharmacist turned in the info to the store loss prevention and cameras were placed to catch the tech stealing. She was fired and was found guilty. The store notified DEA but did not notify the state even though it looks like the state knew because of the tech being convicted. So the state did a visit to the store to do a investagation . One of the YEARLY inventory reports was not found
    (Looks like CA does a yearly count on hydro) seems like monthly would be better. The pharmacist gets hit with fees and fines because of the theft and some documents missing. While the investigator was there a tech gave out a prescription that was new to the customer and did not have the pharmacist go over the script with the customer which was another charge to the pharmacist who was not even at work that day but its his license his responsibility

Two points to make here
    #1 they could not do a count on how many pills were missing because the thefts were daily over months. So how could they even do a count for a person that was shorted. They had no idea what should be there. In the court docs the counts were from
    42,000 to over 50,000 pills missing.
    With what they put on this pharmacist who is the responsible person not CVS its going to get worse out there and maybe even create a shortage of pharmacist in the future that do not want the responsibility even while they are not there.

The case is interesting to read, I found it under the lic board actions. Not a job I would want
  • Our federal government does not care about our welfare. This is the all mighty dollar at work. If they really cared, they would also be regulating the high dollar drugs we see peddled on TV every day. You know, the ones that talk about suicidal thoughts, kidney failure, death and on and on and on.
  • Fomo17FFomo17 Posts: 1
    edited 07/05/2013 - 5:41 AM
    TerriP said:
    I was just in formed that CVS has a new policy they cannot fill a prescription for more than #90 (mine is 10mg) oxycodone or percocet. That this 'policy has been in effect for a few months but just now enforcing it. So 45 days ago I filled a Rx written for #180 tabs a 45 day supply. Today they would not fill 150 tabs, 1 month supply. Which is not to exceed 5 per day. Last month it was 4 per day. They said "the dea is enforcing now"?????? I live in Florida. Has anyone heard of this new policy???
    I live in Massachusetts and have had RA and ankylosing spondylitis since 19... I'm 54. I started on pain meds at 40 when needed my first hip replacement. Then soon after other hip replaced. Then that loosened up and needed a revision. Needless to say ..., am on many opioids which keep me moving.
    Walgreens now has policy 2013 that you can't pick up your opioids more than 3 days prior to script
    date. Even tho BCBS allows 9 days. It is the DEA keeping close watch and Walgreens was sued by DEA or some branch and LOST an 80 or 800 million law suit. I was told this wed July 3. I wanted to pick up my meds 6 days early (not really a prob with other meds) and my Doctor okd it. Btw I get my meds from only ONE doctor which makes me less of a flag of abuse. Walgreens fought hard to not allow it because THEY WERE SUED. I dont like having to fight for my meds monthly. I've also been with same doc for 30 years. So finally they okd me to pick up today ...5 days early because I'm traveling. The pharmacists are in tough spot because if audited could loose their opioid license for life / that one store. But their punishment - dont know if its their branch only, is to not let me pick up meds for six days prior to date. It should not be an issue but they are treating me like a child because I'm traveling! But it's the belittling attitudes that bother me. I'm not selling my drugs I'm just trying to keep my body moving every day including some exercise so I won't give up on life. There had got to be a better way to handle the TRUE CHRONIC PAIN patients. And pharmacists with attitudes and the DEA.... You try living in our bodies for a month. I have to stop because my elbow that needs to be replaced needs a rest and a heating pad and maybe a pain pill. Happy summer and stay strong y'all.
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 07/06/2013 - 7:18 AM
    My PM said they are going to make it so medication will not be a viable treatment option in the future. THAT is scary. Ricki. the CVS that started this thread for me was visited by DEA and I cant get any pain meds there. I take an extended release morphine (which does nothing) and a 10mg oxy for breakthrough not to exceed 5 a day. It takes me a FULL WEEK when things go well to get these filled. I found a Target near me that within a week has been able to fill breakthrough meds. So although they are often out of stock...they can get it within a week. So I need an extra 7 days on hand. My ER medication I get from the CVS I used when working. I need a 10 day extra supply with them, but I never know from month to month if DEA has been there. I can take a full week. If I go back to work, how the heck to I do both?
  • Terri
    I moved all of my pain meds to a pharmacy in the same building has my PM.doctor
    It's a small independent place. The pharmacist there says a lot of this stuff is being done by the company's not the DEA at least in my area and state.

Turns out I like the small place better anyway it's much faster. My insurance changes this month and if I go to this guy I have to pay three dollars extra it's going to be worth it.
    Maybe you can find a independent near you
    my old insurance would never let me do a refill unless it was within three days is what CVS
    told me but oddly enough the independent could. I learned what they say and what is real is two different things

Good luck
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 07/06/2013 - 11:37 AM
    I have been looking for a small place. Unfortunately here in south Florida (the pain pill capital of the world) most of the little ones dont carry as they are the first to get robbed. There is 1 more on my insurance plan I havent tried them yet. I would go to a cancer center or something but hard to find. Good suggestion I need to keep looking.
  • Hi, I am in Georgia and just went in today to get refills of Methadone, Oxycodone, Gabapentin, and Methacarbomal. Got all but the Methadone and Oxycodone. The Pharmacist was very concerned and apologetic and explained that the DEA has dropped their shipment of "Controlled Narcotics" I finally found the meds at Kroger. Apparently their is some kind of shut down or sting on controlled meds in the sout. Georgia is the main target. Good luck.
  • Was this a CVS Chain?
  • I have been getting my Oxycodone 15 MG prescriptions filled every month for 180 pills from Walgreens for the past 9 1/2 years with NO Problems. Now for the past 6 months, I can not get any of my prescriptions filled at all. Walgreens has been banned by the DEA for illegal filling Oxycodone until 2014, because a few stores were allowing people to get this medication with NO prescriptions and was caught by the DEA. It was in the newspapers. So, I tried CVS and now getting the run around by them because of the pill count. Is this a new policy with CVS and will they fill my prescriptions if I can get my Pain Management doctor to lower my script from 180 to 90 pills? This is NOT right what the DEA is doing to ALL of us who have LEGIT Pain Management doctors and live in 24/7 constant pain. Oxycodone is the ONLY Pain Medication that helps me live a life with very little pain. Any suggestions, Please?
  • I hear ya....different CVS's are different depends on pharmacist sometimes.What state do you live in?
  • SkymageSkymage Posts: 1
    edited 07/26/2013 - 7:21 PM
    Here is a blog entry by Dr. XXXX (edited to remove physician name) clinical pharmacist at the (edited to remove hospital name)Hospital

I think this post was enlightening and at least in one place action is being taken
    After months of filling oxicodone 180 tabs per month at Walgreens, pharmacist told me per their new policy they would no longer fill scripts over 120 count. Upon switching to a new pharmacy, I was told Walgreen's had been busted for sketchy opiate record keeping.
  • TerriP said:
    I hear ya....different CVS's are different depends on pharmacist sometimes.What state do you live in?
    I live in Florida