Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone develop spondylithesis in their fused vertebrae?

StacyAnnSStacyAnn Posts: 50
edited 03/25/2013 - 9:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, I am confused. I am fused from L3-S1 (suppossedly). The last CT report showed spondylithesis at L4 on L5.

This ever happen to anyone else? Did it have to be fixed or is it just what happens over time due to natural stresses?

• I can only imagine that you either had this spondylolisthesis before your fusion or that you are not fused and there has been slippage.

What does your doctor say about it?
  • airborne72airborne72 Posts: 245
    edited 03/26/2013 - 12:51 PM

When I had my two level fusion (January 2011) it was to correct for a grade 1 spondylolithesis L5 on S1, among other things. Of interest is that a radiologist's report from a CT scan in October 2011 reads...Mild grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1. In addition, later I had another CT and MRI that indicated (reviewed by a neuro during a second opinion consult) that my fused spine also had a "left right" imbalance. That neurosurgeon said that it could have been that way prior to surgery, or it could have been fused in that condition. Who knows?

Ironically, the first two months after my fusion I was pleased and in relief. I was even contemplating providing a testimonial for my surgeon, etc. However, as time passed my pain returned and with some vengeance. Now I am 26 months post surgery and in such discomfort that I have convinced myself to submit to revison surgery.

Diagnostics show a fusion, but my symptoms indicate micromotion and subsequent pain. My surgeon wanted to declare me a non-fusion over a year ago. I am stubborn (Taurus) and will analyze something forever. But this has finally worn me down to submission. The offer of pain management was not appealing. I want physical/mechanical correction, if possible.

I will soon be 62 (thank-you SSA for sending me a letter reminding me). I was a young, studly 59 year old when the initial surgery occurred. One of my concerns is the possibility of loosing my "physical advantage" if I defer revision surgery too long. In fact, that is what my surgeon told me after he cut me open last time. "Jim, perhaps you waited too long for this surgery because your spine turned into a gnarly mess."

So, perhaps my spine settled after my surgery and reverted back to a spondy condition. I don't know. But I did want to respond to your question StacyAnn and reaffirm your suspicion. At least now you can say with confidence that there is someone else like you.

Good luck.

• Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
    edited 03/28/2013 - 6:14 PM
    I had 2 level fusion 11 months ago. C5-C7. Did great after 6-7 months but then after 9 months pain creeping back, all too familiar, and I worried that the fusion didnt take or hardware failure. Surgeon ordered MRI and today when I saw him for the report, he says that my C4 is blown :(. Spondy has destroyed it, and there's the explanation to a lot of this new pain.
    I asked if he didnt see this before my fusion and considered correcting it then, but he said the disc was fine athat time. All this new bone growth after surgery? Im confused, worried and looking at another surgery.
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • Well, my surgeon said I am fused, that my back except for decrease in the disk space between L5-S1, is as it was since the 2010 surgery.

However, because of my continued pain and that decreased disk space, we agreed to try an anterior lumbar fusion on that L5-S1 level to see if that will free up the nerve just enough to not continually be a royal pain in the a@#.

Never had anterior fusion before but interestingly I had thought it might be something worth trying since when they tried to put in the spacer posteriorlly in 2010 it slipped and I was back in the OR 2 weeks later to take it out. Now they will put it in from the front where there is more room. Surgery is May 7th. I will tell you how it goes.