Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suggestions for something to tide me over?

So I'm having a L5/S1 discectomy in the middle of April and have a few weeks to get through before then. Thankfully I don't have to work between now and then, but I'm seriously struggling to even have a shower or go to the toilet because of my sciatica pain. I won't describe the pain because I'm pretty sure everyone here gets it :P

I have to get to my GP every week for a medical certificate (THAT'S fun!) and I keep telling her about the agonising pain (I have to lay on a bed during the consult as I can't sit - you'd think she'd figure it out?) and she prescribed Panadeine Forte after I requested something for pain (30mg codeine; 500mg paracetamol) but it does absolutely nothing (I tend to take it at night as sometimes it manages to knock me out and I get more than a few hours sleep).

I've also tried:
- Panadeine Extra (over the counter..15mg less than Forte)
- Dolased/Mersyndol (a friend recommended this. Paracetamol 500mg, Codeine 10mg, Doxylamine Succinate 5.1mg - this tends to knock me out better than the Panadeine Forte but leaves me a little *too* stoned for my liking and does nothing for the actual pain...and I'm too unco to move with caution which can end up making it worse. It's ok for bedtime though.)
- NSAIDs (Nurofen Plus; Voltarin Rapid - neither work, and I need to stop NSAIDs ten days out from my surgery anyway).

Any suggestions about what I need to say to my GP to get the message across? I read the sticky posts at the top of the forum which say not to go into your GP demanding a particular drug etc, and fair enough, but I feel like I'm going to put some suggestions up in neon lights for this woman to get the message. I'm hoping to get into the pool and do some water walking to start strengthening up my core but it ain't going to happen unless I get some kind of pain relief.

I'm hoping that some wiser heads can offer some suggestions :)

• But from your current meds, UK, Canada, Australia ? Don't know what the limitations are on what your GP can prescribe. A low dose of oxycodone(5mg) or hydrocodone(7.5) every 6-8 hours should help. Adding 5mg Valium every 6-8 hours would be a good addition (taken at least an hour apart from hydro or oxy.) Remember, none of us are trained or qualified to be making any medical or medication advise.

I would be very careful with any exercise or work while masking pain with medications.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • Yep...in Australia.

And yeah...I get that people here aren't medical professionals, but a need to get rid of pain is a very motivating thing and you guys would have a wealth of experience that could give me some rough ideas to talk through with the doc :)

I'll have a bit of a read about the ones you've mentioned. I've had oxycodone prescribed (as endone) by the hospital before when I had a gallstone attack, so if the GP can't prescribe it maybe I should rock up to the hospital.

I'll be careful re exercise. Just hoping to get to the pool to do some water walking. Worried that I'm going to end up with deep vein thrombosis from just lying around all day for weeks! Have been trying to do frequent laps around the house but it kills!

Thanks for your reply. Gives me a bit of a direction to head in :)
  • reesemayrreesemay Posts: 67
    edited 04/05/2013 - 4:03 PM
    some mild stretches maybe of some help for sciatica. Pull one or both knees towards your chest GENTLY, hold for 10-15 seconds then repeat. I know it will be agonizing, but only stretch util you can feel the pull, then let up, the idea is to help the spasms reduce, forcing the stretch can and will increase the spasm..I have had some relief doing this. There are a ton of videos on youtube for sciatica stretches, if your butt muscles are extremely tight too you can lay on your back, bend your knees, then cross one ankle onto your opposit knee, then lightly pull your bended knee to the opposite side. This one really helped me, just make sure to do both sides so your muscles are not out of balance and cause more pain, but whatever you do be gentle and dont force it and hold just when you feel the pull. If you do this say 5 times a day it can be of good help. Your muscles will want to tend to tighten back up so you will have to do it often...just be careful and dont force!!!!
    Hot baths with epsoms salts might give some relief too, each little thing you can do will give a bit of relief added together maybe they can be of help, I have not come across anything that gives outstanding relief. Good luck !!